New plan for me

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bsweet, May 6, 2011.

1. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

M Palmer spoke at our spring training this year about overwintering Nucs. So this year instead of splitting a strong hive I'm gonna Nuc em.When the hive gets to the point that I would think about a split, I'll pull 1-2 frames of eggs & brood and 2-3 frames of stores to start a 5 frame Nuc or a 10 frame with a follower board. hopefully this won't cut to deep into honey production. If this works I'll have replacement /expansion bees for next year or Nucs for sale.

What do you think? Jim

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think Micheal Palmer has a good thing going. If he got the details passed along sufficiently, you should do fine. I also think he spent years perfecting his routine, so you need to have all details down pat and stick to the rules precisely.

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

What is a follower board?

4. rast

rast New Member

Takes the place of a frame, blocks off the area in a box where frames would normally be if you only have 5 frames in a10 frame box. Slide it out as you add frames.

[​IMG]

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Yes, I am going to make a new nuc with my old queen just as soon as we have drones flying here in NY.
    Doing this instead of splitting the 2nd yr hive right in half. Maybe even get some honey while they're raising a new queen.

6. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Thanks Rast for the pic and explaining the use.
    Thats what I hope for aswell Omie, they say you can make bees or honey but I hope this will do both.