New Prospective Beek

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bakpakr, Jun 29, 2012.

1. bakpakr

bakpakr New Member

Hi, Just introducing myself.

I currently do not as yet have any bee's or hives. I live in a mid-sized town in south central Pa. I have been interested in keeping bees for as long as I can remember. But just recently (last month or so) have been actively looking into getting a hive and bees. I have been doing considerable research and viewing you-tube videos.

Where I live I am unable to have bees due to neighbor concerns and housemate allergy to bee stings. I am looking for alternative locations close to me to place a hive or two.

I am not concerned as I WILL find a solution.

I am looking forward to learning from everyone here and in the future being able to pass my knowledge on.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome. Hope you like it here. You are not far from Bjorn Apiaries. I would highly recommend sending Mike a PM, or make a phone call and visit his bee yard. He is open to visitors and would be worth a million bucks to you info wise. He also sells bees.

http://www.bjornapiaries.com/contactus.html

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum :hi:

Find your local beekeeping club and ask if you can tag along with someone, that way you can get some hands on and might find a location for a couple of hives.

4. bakpakr

bakpakr New Member

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yes Iddee I already stumbled across Bjorn Apiaries and do plan on utilizing them as my bee supplier due to their closeness to me and their great reputation. I live car free so transportation outside of my local area can be a bit of a pain. I DO plan on making a trip up to see him before I actually have bees to pick their brains hehe. My current plan is to start my hive in the spring of 2013. So I have time to get all my gear and find a location and do much more research.

G3 I do plan on joining a local club and also state wide organizations and nation wide organizations. I do tend to jump into my hobbies with both feet hehe. Also love the Morse in your sig and yes a hot hive will have you steppin and fetchin

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum :hi:

Find your local beekeeping club and ask if you can tag along with someone, that way you can get some hands on and might find a location for a couple of hives.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

You may also want to keep a little box or two of mason bee nesting tubes in your yard or porch- these sweet gentle little native bees will not sting unless pinched. They don't make honey and they don't create hives, but they pollinate everything in sight like crazy and are so fun to keep and watch! There's a forum here on this site with various discussion threads on them. Anyone with a tiny yard or a balcony can keep mason bees!

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome :hi:

Consider having two hives, it gives you resources to fall back on should one hive have problems.
    "Car free", while it may present difficulties beekeeping wise, what with moving heavy supers, etc. if they are not close to home, there have been many times where I thought that might be nice (like when I'm at the repair shop). :roll:

8. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome to the forum from next door in the buckeye state. There are a bunch of friendly folks here who are willing to share their knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and be sure to check out past posts. I've found that most of my questions have already been asked and answered somewhere in the archives. Good luck.

9. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

10. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome bakpakr:hi:great place to talk bees and other things:smile:

11. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Welcome to the forum bakpakr!

I'm allergic too! At least that's what the ER doc told me when I walked in covered in hives lol. I've been stung twice since (once today) with only a local reaction.
    We keep a prescription of Epi-Pens on hand for all family members as well as liquid Benedryl, Tagamet, and Prednizone (sp).
    I don't let it deter me from this great hobby

I also recommend starting with 2 hives.

You're going to have a blast!

Good luck,

Ed

12. bakpakr

bakpakr New Member

Thanks for all the great replies.

I do plan on starting with two hives. As a matter of fact I have a wish list at Mann Lake's website populated with enough wooden-ware for two complete hives, 4 Brood boxes, 6 honey supers, 2 vented bottom boards, 2 queen excluders, 2, inner covers, 2 telescoping covers, 2 hive top feeders. http://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=DISPREG&regid=52139

Not to worried about housemates allergy. We keep an Epipen handy at all times.

More worried about neighbor concerns.

13. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

Lol, Bakpakr,you are already teaching (at least me) 'cause I had absolutely no idea G3's little graphic had Morse in it. I just thought it was a bit of gobbledy-gook for spacing from the one above it. But, when I checked it, you are right! Thank you for teaching me to put on my glasses and to relearn my Morse.:grin:

14. bakpakr

bakpakr New Member

Being a HAM morse pops out for me.

DE KB3SYZ

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

There is another ham on here somewhere, they will chime in shortly!!

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome to the forum Backpakr. It looks like you're doing things the right way---first learning and getting things lined up before making the leap. That's a sure sign of your future success. :thumbsup:

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

[​IMG]

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I meant operator not operated on! :lol::lol:

Perry you are always good for a laugh!

19. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome to the Forum!

20. bakpakr

bakpakr New Member