New swarm leaving the box.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, May 1, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Captured a small swarm last night. Set it out by the other hives. This morning I didn't see any activity from the new box. I was standing under a tree and looked up and there they were in a limb. I grabbed a diferent box
    this time and captured them again. This time I am leaving the box where I captured them this morning and it is
    away from the other hives by about 20 feet. I had sat them between 2 hives about 6ft apart last night.

Could I have sat them to close to the othe hives or do they sometimes just vacate like that.

My trap boxes are basically 5 frame nukes and they have had other swarms live in them and I am putting partially drawn comb in with them.

Guess we'll see if they stay today while I am at work.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They do that quite regularly. A frame of brood sometimes helps to anchor them.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

They are noted for doing that. As Iddee said a frame of brood helps. With them leaving the hive and clustering in an above tree you might find them gone when you get home if the scout bees return and convince the rest there is a better home elseware.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Well, came home from work and they are still in the box and appear to be acting like the other 3 hives. Coming and going.

Guess I will leave them be for a while but I need to move them to their permanent location.

Any suggestions. I was told can only move them 4 feet at a time and not more. But what about moving them tonight during the night so they are in their spot tomorrow when it gets daylight.

Have so much to learn.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would go ahead and place them in the permanent location tonight. You may see some go back for a couple of days, then all will be well.