New swarm questions?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by RE Jones, Jul 11, 2012.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I posted about a swarm that flew over my bee yard in the swarm-cut out forum.

I thought that the bees in this swarm looked small and this afternoon, my son, who is not into bees at all, looked at that hive and asked me why these bees were so much smaller than the other hives.

I have noticed that all of the bees are the same color, which is odd, as all my other hives are mixed colors. They are orange/yellow with very distinct black stripes. They are very industrious, as they have cleaned the hive and the next day after me putting them in the hive, have started bringing in pollen and it looks as if they are bringing in nectar.
    Every other swarm that I caught, seems like it took them several days before they began foraging.

I guess I'll see what i have in a couple of days, when I open this hive up and see what they have been doing inside.
    Robert

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It could be that the source of this swarm was from a feral hive, where the brood cells had been in use for a long time and therefore were reduced in size by the accumulation of exuviae pressed against the inner lining of the cells.
    Being raised in tighter quarters would restrict their ability to grow but wouldn't affect their good genetics.
    Hope they develop well and produce some nice honey for you.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Like Efmesch has expressed, whether by nature, or perhaps by a nearby beek, you seem to have come into possession of some small cell bees. There are some corners of the beekeeping world that believe these bees because of the "cramped" quarters during the pupal stage have a low mite reproduction cycle.