New Swarms-When to add the the hive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I have two hives. One was a cuptured swarm and the other was a cut out. They are both 10 days old, happy
    and working like crazy. Amazing

The swarm has been very busy and has about 3 deep frames with comb and larva already. The cutout has 4 deep frames of capped brood (seen some already hatching out). They are sitting next to 110 acres of clover and wild flowers in full bloom.

My question is, when do I start adding either the second deep brood box or the medium honey supers. And in what order. Right now they are each in a single deep brood box. I am guessing I add a medium super now (with queen excluder) then insert the second deep brood box when the bottom brood box files up.

Told ya I'd be asking questions.

Thanks, Steve

2. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

When eight of ten frames are drawn out its time to add another box.

...JP

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Drawn out and well populated with bees.

4. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Welcome to the forum! Me personally, I would add another brood box once the initial one is 80% full. If time or bee's allow I would add the super later based on the 80% rule, my goal would be to get them prepared/supplied for Winter the rest is gravy! Just my 2 cents....:grin:

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Yankee, That makes three of us saying the same thing. I guess you've gotten some sort of a concensus to go on. :clapping: