Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two hives. One was a cuptured swarm and the other was a cut out. They are both 10 days old, happy
and working like crazy. Amazing

The swarm has been very busy and has about 3 deep frames with comb and larva already. The cutout has 4 deep frames of capped brood (seen some already hatching out). They are sitting next to 110 acres of clover and wild flowers in full bloom.

My question is, when do I start adding either the second deep brood box or the medium honey supers. And in what order. Right now they are each in a single deep brood box. I am guessing I add a medium super now (with queen excluder) then insert the second deep brood box when the bottom brood box files up.

Told ya I'd be asking questions.

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Me personally, I would add another brood box once the initial one is 80% full. If time or bee's allow I would add the super later based on the 80% rule, my goal would be to get them prepared/supplied for Winter the rest is gravy! Just my 2 cents....:grin:

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Yankee, That makes three of us saying the same thing. I guess you've gotten some sort of a concensus to go on. :clapping:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts