New to bee keeping.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Yvonne, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne New Member

Hello all, newbie here.We are in Middle Tennessee, about 1 hr. east of Nashville. Inhertied 10 hives of bees when my father passed :( away March of this year. Unfortunatly, before that I never fooled with the bees or helped my father tend them. I now realize that not doing so and learning about their care was a major loss on my part, mainly because of the precious time I could have spent working with and helping my father :( . May sound silly, but I have prayed and asked our Father above just to let Daddy know we're caring of the bees!! :lol: He really loved them and the sweet rewards he repeated from them. :D
    My brother and I are now caring for them. So far, I have been the one seeing to them as my brother works/lives 4 hours away and is only home 1-2 days each week. All of it is new to me, my brother is knowlegable as he helped our father often. The main reason I never helped is mainly fear of the bees. WRONG!!! I have no allergy to stings, and after working with them robbing, tending the hives I realize what a gentle, inteligent little creature they are. Our honey crop was small this year (weather???) for what reason I don't know, but we have sold enough to buy medications and some supplies. We will be spending the winter readying for spring. I hope to glean some helpful hints from this site from time to time. Enjoy reading the posts. Wish us luck . :thumbsup: :wave:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave: Glad to have another Tennessee beek on here. I take it you are somewhere around Cookeville. Well the cool weather is upon us and hopefully your bees are somewhere close to having enough stores for the winter. It will take about a full shallow super of capped honey to get them through to April when we will start seeing the first things start to bloom.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome Yvonne:

You have come to the right place to learn. There are a bunch of friendly folks here who are more than happy to answer any and all of your questions.

Please don't be afraid to ask ANY questions. It is a sad thing to lose a colony of bees when, by asking a few questions here, you can learn what you need to avoid the loss.

Again, Welcome, and Good Luck!

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Hi Yvonne :wave: Sorry to hear about your Dad, it's hard to see our folks go on... it's awesome that you are taking care of his bees though, I bet he's happy about that.

This is a great forum...the people are friendly and helpful, I know we've learned a lot from them. Look forward to reading more from you.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a big welcome from Texas.

it is kind of funny (not so actually) the smallest of things we miss when something or someone is gone???

7. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Welcome to the forum Yvonne :wave: ...Wow 0 to 10 hives in a blink of an eye must be overwhelming to say the least,Well fortunately you landed in the right place to help you through any rough patches you may have getting started.

8. rast

rast New Member

Welcome, and so sorry about your loss.
    Not silly at all to me.
    There is an old,old beekeeping tradition that you are also supposed to tell his bees that he has gone on ahead.

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:
    Not silly to me either

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

:hi:
    Greetings from the Middle East. I'm sure it pleases your father up above knowing that both of you are following in his footsteps, taking care of what was important to him. Hope your efforts with bees bring back sweet memories of your father. :D