new to beekeeping forum

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PalmerLakeColo, Dec 30, 2011.

1. PalmerLakeColo

PalmerLakeColo New Member

Hello Fellow Beekeepers, I'm new to this forum and will be starting bees in the Spring. Hope to make new friends here and to learn for you seasoned beeks. I was introduced to this forum by a WildLife Pro Network podcast on beekeeping. Does anybody have any recommendations for which size of the 8-frame medium size box to go with. Mann Lake is like 14" and others 13 3/4" or does it really matter? I'm going to try to build some of the boxes myself but don't know if frames fit better in a bigger box or not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

first off welcome to the forum couldnt find a better bunch of people to learn around. Hope to see you around often asking and answering questions. Yes even the old keeps can learn from the new. You might try to post your question in beekeeping 101 it would more than likely get more responses. I dont run 8 frame equipment all 10 with nine in the mediums after they have been drawn out. What you need to keep in mind is beespace. To much and you will have trouble with burr and bridge comb.

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome PLC! Either is fine, just try not to mix widths.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hello PLC:
    :hi:
    I agree with the above posts, but if I was going to err one way or the other, I would go with 14".
    I built some nuc boxes once that were just a hair too small and they have been a challenge since day one. The bees propolize the self spacing frames on the end bars and there just isn't the room to pry. If you go a little wider and keep your extra frame space on the outsides against the walls of the hive you should be fine.
    Welcome aboard, you've found a friendly space to spend some time! :D

5. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Welcome PLC :wave: stick around here and you'll make plenty of friends,and if it's help you need,some of the friendliest folks you'll ever want to meet will be more than happy to oblige.

6. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome PLC, :hi:
    This is a great place to learn and share. Enjoy

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Welcome! This is a great place for beeks

As for building your own, buy the first hive and use it as templates , then you know everything will fit. If not and later you need to buy , it may not fit what you made.

I borrowed some deeps and supers, and I did find a full set of plans online, and made two of the 4 hives I have, but bought all rest of my woodenware. The extra supers are also bought. Was fun to make a few , but then time was an issue

For the home beekeeper with just a few hives, Unless you have access to lumber cheaply, or you have tons of free time, making your own is not really cost efficient.