New to Beekeeping In Western Washington State

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jim Fishguts, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Jim Fishguts

Jim Fishguts New Member

I got a 4 frame nuc (5/27 24 days ago) with an open top feeder that was drowning my little friends. (Almost wrote Little Girls but that sounds perverted) I quickly got a top feeder for them and an entrance feeder too. I put 50 /50 sugar in one side of the top feeder and plain water in the other side. I retired the frame feeder to the empty nuc box. I got ten frame deep box to put them in. We haven't had much nice weather here and the girls don't get when its raining. But when its nice they really go to town and bring back bags of pollen.
    Any Suggestions so far

Jim Fishguts

2. jb63

jb63 New Member

Welcome Jim.

3. Jim Fishguts

Jim Fishguts New Member

Thanks jb63
    I don't know a lot about this but I am into it now. How's the weather been in Oregon ?

Jim In Western Washington

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Welcome to the forum. Nice morning here (for a change). Our weather usually comes from the West so please send some more good.

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome to The Forum Jim :hi:

6. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I put a piece of window screen in my frame feeder to help the bees get in and out and almost eliminated the drowning. A friend of mine uses a float that is shorter than the bottom of the feeder and the bees use it to feed without drowning.

Not sure I know exactly what you mean by 50/50 sugar but I use sugar syrup in an entrance feeder to stimulate comb production. Mixed in a ratio of 1 pound of sugar to 1 pint of water and my bees will take a quart in less than 24 hours.

I don't know about the water in the feeder either but don't know your location so I won't say that's wrong but it's something I've never done.

Good luck and welcome. You'll get lots of friendly and good advice here.

7. klpauba

klpauba New Member

Welcome to the forum from another newbee!

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Greetings Jim on joining the forum. :hi:

9. jb63

jb63 New Member

Jim the weather has been better than last year, but we're comming into a wet few days.The black berries are starting to bloom,that's our big flow.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hello Jim, glad you found us. :thumbsup:
    I have never put water in a hive, for any reason. If you think that it is so dry you need to help them out, you can do it outside the hive.
    Safer that way.

11. Jim Fishguts

Jim Fishguts New Member

I put a new screened board under the hive. It has a pull out piece of plastic which I coated with petrolium jelly. While checking the pull out board yesterday I saw a very small red bug crawling across the jelly. Not sticky enough so I'm going to thin the petrolium jelly with some baby oil to make it stickier and some Vicks Chest Rub and send the menthol vapors up into hive.

Would really like to get some input on this.

Also it is hard to dump out the water that is in the one side of the top feeder so when the syrup needs replacement I will dump the water out.

Thanks for your ideas
    Jim Fishguts

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi jim and welcome to the forum,
    vicks chest rub? the only time i use that stuff is when i have a bad cough and a cold.....:lol:
    this will permeate your comb, pollen and honey........
    a novel idea for pest control, what kind of pests are you concerned about?

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would suggest cleaning the board and spraying it with pam or other cooking spray. I would not put the menthol in the hive unless you suspect the bees have tracheal mites. T-mites are microscopic, so that is not what you seen on the board.

The little red bug may have been a varroa mite, but unless there were many of them, there is no cause for alarm. Once you have checked the board for 3 days running, remove it and leave the screen bottom open. The board should not be left on the hive for long periods of time.

Good to see you posting.

14. Jim Fishguts

Jim Fishguts New Member

I am curious as to why you recomend taking the bottom board out of the slot of the screened bottom board. I could understand if your thinking it may get too warm on them but today is a really nice sunshiney day and the temp outside is at 70 degrees. I am wondering if at night the temp would be too cool for them because without the bottom piece of plastic the entire hive is is open to the drafts that will blow into the slot. I also placed a bbq thermometer sensor between the frames most all the time it says 94 or 95 degrees F. Was just curious about their temperature.

As for the Vicks I was wondering if it would the bees if I tried it once in a while.

Thanks Jim Fishguts

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The reason for removing it is not temp, it's pests. The bees cannot get between it and the screen, so it is a perfect breeding ground for pests.

As for temp., Omie leaves it out all winter in upstate New York and they do fine. I use all solid bottom boards and they don't melt down. They are in full sun.

16. Jim Fishguts

Jim Fishguts New Member

They are having a good day today its about 70 no wind. I didn't have any bees last spring.

I lived in Canby when I was a kid. Went to Barlow school too !

Jim Fishguts

17. Jim Fishguts

Jim Fishguts New Member

I forgot to let you know that I have painted a mixture of Baby oil and petrolim jelly( I left the vicks out) on the top of the the inspection board. Hopfully any pest that dropes onto the board will be stuck and die. Also saw a racoon out in my trees last week I put a tiedown on the hive last night. Don't think they could get it off the pallets while standing on them.
    Thanks for your input
    Jim Fishguts

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Raccoon...... Boil until tender, then bake with stuffing and sweet potatoes.
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....

19. Jim Fishguts

Jim Fishguts New Member

Looking for input :
    Does anyone think the Vicks would cause problems ?

Thanks
    Jim Fishguts

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Vicks is menthol. Menthol is used to fight tracheal mites. Although it doesn't kill the bees, it does agitate them and permeates the honey. I would not use it.