New to Beekeeping

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by grannybeekeeper, Jun 16, 2016.

1. grannybeekeeper

grannybeekeeper New Member

I live in north central North Carolina and got two colonies of bees in mid-April. I guess I'm officially a beekeeper! The problem I'm having is that I placed each colony in a deep hive box with plastic frames. I placed a shallow box on top for purposes of feeding my bees. They do not seem to be happy with the plastic in the frames! I have switched out most of the plastic for frames with wax. The bees continue to build their own wax on top of the frames in the deep. Why are they doing this? Do they have too much room? I'm taking out the wax they are building and have placed the hive top directly on top of the frames to discourage wax building, will check them tomorrow to see how they are doing. I'm interested to know if anyone else has encountered this problem and how it was handled.

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

First welcome to the forum, did you put an inter cover on the main supper before putting another box on to feed them and put the feeder over the hold in top, for bees love to built comb in open space.

‚ÄčKen

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Yes, welcome. :hi:

Yeah, I've seen this. In addition to kebee's line of inquiry, sometimes I have have to re-wax plastic (if'n I recollect that's plaskick in NC) frames, but the only reason I can think off hand they might not build on wax would be spacing.

Did you buy these frames, or did they come with the colony? Photos of your set-up might help as well.

4. grannybeekeeper

grannybeekeeper New Member

I purchased the frames separately, so the frames did not come with the bees. I have put the inner cover on top of the frames, will check them tomorrow to see if the problem has resolved. Thanks for responses!