New to bees from the Panhandle of Texas

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MacBee, Apr 5, 2011.

1. MacBee

MacBee New Member

I am new and haven't really even got started yet.
    Thanks
    Mac

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Welcome MacBee. :hi:

Beekeeping can be a little intimidating at first, but there are lots of helpful folks here. Plus, you've got a bunch of time that you can use to read up on beekeeping and decide what kind, and how many hives you want, get them ready, and order bees.

After that...you're addicted! :D

Walt

3. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

Hey there! Welcome to the forum, where you can get advice, get recipes and get a good laugh!

There are lots of good folks here to help you get started and help with almost any problem. All you have to do is ask, and someone will pop up with an answer...or two...or three, maybe.

4. MacBee

MacBee New Member

I was thinking of ordering some hives and equipment from R Weaver Apiaries in Texas.
    They have Buckfest and All American bees and have suggested the All American for the panhandle of Texas.
    Any thoughts or suggestions, anyone?

Mac

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Mac and welcome to the forum :wave:

Lots of friendly knowledgeable keeps on here, don't be shy to ask any questions!!

There are several regulars here from Texas.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Howdy MacBee.

The All American looks a bit like an Italian (mutt of course) and of course the Buckfast is a world class mutt.

7. MacBee

MacBee New Member

tecumseh,

Can you suggest a Texas based supplier and bee that would be better for Amarillo?

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Welcome to the forum you couldnt have found a more family friendly forum on bees than right here. I want to point out you may not have realized it. But you have gotten a good start on bee keeping by joining a forum and participating. Hope to see you around often. Us old beeks learn just as much from the newbees as the newbees learn from the old. So all input is welcome. Again welcome to our little corner of the world wide web

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome.....

Tecumseh has been raising Texas bees for many years. He also sells nucs. They would be well suited for your locality.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

macbee writes:
    Can you suggest a Texas based supplier and bee that would be better for Amarillo?

tecumseh:
    the question would highly depend on your purpose for keeping bees. the panhandle is a bit different part of the world (I kept bees there a long time ago as a migratory bee keeper) and it has it own unique challenges. the challenges are not insurmountable... but they would require a bit of extra effort and planning on your part.

you are coming to the dance late so some folks are likely to be sold out. your closes sources may be Oklahoma or New Mexico based rather than Texas. I do offer nucs with a choice of queens but you would need to pick them up.

if I was new to all this, which I am most definitely not, rather than ask the question which kind of bee (mostly they are all mutts) I would ask myself 'my purpose' and then whether I want to treat for varroa or not. these questions narrows the options quite a lot.

I rear cordovan queens mated to primarily BWeaver stock (the queens mate in the air so I have no control over that aspect of their biology). The cordovan has proven to be quite a gentle bee and an excellent choice for anyone just starting. The BWeaver stuff is really the only commercially available survivor stock. I also sale nucs with BWeaver queens (which you can also obtain from BWeaver if they have not sold out).

good luck...

11. MacBee

MacBee New Member

tecumseh,

"the question would highly depend on your purpose for keeping bees."

Having read several articles last year about honeybee colony collapse and the drastic reduction in the honeybee population over the last several years I would like to be a part reversing this trend.

Purpose is to build 4-5 sustainable hives over the next two years primarily for honey production and to help increase the population of viable bees in this area. Goal for this year is to establish two or more that would survive the winter, but would consider starting the whole five at one time. Some honey this year would be nice but not necessarily a requirement.

At the suggestion of someone else, I have tried to locate a beekeepers association branch in this area but have had no luck.

Maybe I had a misunderstanding but I thought that because of Texas Department of Agriculture regulations that it was more difficult to get bees from out of state. Is that not the case with Oklahoma and New Mexico as you suggested?

I realize that the panhandle is likely to be more difficult than other areas of the state but since this is where I am, guess I'll try to adapt and overcome.

Other suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks for your reply.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Your purpose sounds positive and your goals modest. Try to start with more than one hive, that makes it easier to compare one with the other. If you start with a nuc you have the opportunity to make a small honey crop in year one. with a package you get to feed it more, watch it more and hopefully learn a bit more about basic bee biology. the over riding goal in year one should be to get as much wax made (say in a top bar hive) or pull (langstroth) as is possible. with modest success and comb (ie pulled foundation) you could get to your stated goal in year 2.

Each state has different regulations. To move 'stock' over the state line LEGALLY you should have a 'health tag' that states the product is free of disease and has been inspected. the latter item being what you would likely want to look for as a consumer. The only enforcement of which I am aware of is at Weight and Agricultural Inspection Stations normally located at state lines.

ps... an italian honey bee (of whatever variety) is an excellent choice in most of the south. as you move northward your choice might logically trend toward the darker varieties of italian or perhaps carnolians.

for myself... first I have an intrastate licenses (Apiary Inspection Service) that allows me to move bees in numbers across any county line within Texas. If I wanted to cross the state lines with numbers of hives I would obtain an interstate licenses (same source). I also have 'health tags' via a Queen Breeder Licenses (again same source) that allows me to ship queens just about anywhere via the post office. I would suspect New Mexico and Oklahoma have similar regulations??

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ps... an italian honey bee (of whatever variety) is an excellent choice in most of the south. as you move northward your choice might logically trend toward the darker varieties of italian or perhaps carnolians.

14. MacBee

MacBee New Member

tecumseh,

Thanks for all the input. Do you have a website where you sell bees or other product?

Mac

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

your are welcome.

no I do not have a web site. I do have a classified ad on this web site which pretty much describes what I sell (queens and nucs).

16. MacBee

MacBee New Member

Can nucs be shipped?

17. MacBee

MacBee New Member

"(say in a top bar hive) or pull (langstroth)"

Can you suggest an online supplier for these and other equipment and supplies?

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

top bar hives are usually home built although I see some advertised on this forum from time to time. some times a top bar hive may be referred to as a Kenya Top Bar Hive. A langstroth hive is your standard hive generally available in 8 and 10 frame configuration. For the beginner (I am assuming you will not buy in quantities of 100... yet) Walter T Kelley and Dadant are the suppliers I would most highly recommend.

just in the area of equipment there are a lot of decisions in starting with bees. then you have the next round of decision making which is what kind of bees do I place in those boxes. the summation of decisions faced by the novice I suspect (I haven't been a novice for so long it is kind of hard for me to remember that mental state) is somewhat over whelming.

some folks do ship nucs but i do not. my good bee keeping neighbors down the road ship nucs but they do this via their own trucks and their own employees.

19. MacBee

MacBee New Member

tecumseh,

Do you still have some nucs for sale and where are you located? If you have them, how much for three?

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yes I do. matter of fact I just picked up my first batch of BWeaver queens so those are not even made up yet. you may check my add in 'The Trading Post' under Texas Home Bred Nucs for details.

most folks come by my house here giving me a day or so head start so I can pick them out a good one.