New to Forum and Bees.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Yankee11, May 10, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Been around the forum a week or two, just havn't had time to make it over here until now. I will say this is
    a very helpfull and nice group of people. A great place to talk bees.

I live in Arkansas and really am not a Yankee. I have never lived any farther north than AR or TN. I use Yankee11 because I was a baseball coach of a competetive traveling baseball team and we called ourselves
    Yankees and my sons # was 11. He is now a pitching in college his junior year but the Yankee11 has just
    stuck with me. So, now you know "The rest of the story"

We have 5 acres and raise everything from vegetables, fruits, berries, herbs and chickens. Now bees. I make jellies, jams, pickles, relishes, salsa etc. and have started canning. I am on a mission to see how self sufficiant I can be. Plus the food is just far better than anything you can get in the store. I have even gone one step farther this year. Everything I planted this year in the garden in Heirloom. No more buying Hybred seeds every year. I will save all my own seeds.

I love seeing something go from a seed to the jar or to my plate. I guess thats why these bees a natural fit for me.

Anyway, thats a little about me and where I come from. See ya on the forums.

Thanks, Steve

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Steve, glad you introduced yourself. :thumbsup:

The self sufficient thing will probably pay big dividends in the future, if not right now. I remember pouring over every edition of Mother Earth News and Harrowsmith, etc. back to when they were almost new! :shock:
    Even though I don't live it now, I have always maintained if things go to *#!! in a handbasket, the people sitting on a parcel of land providing for themselves will feel it a lot less than the rest of us.

Welcome. :hi:

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Welcome. I'm in Texas and I'm a Yankee. We used to have a sign on our gate that said, "There's only 1 Yankee in this house, and she ain't it!" Underneath that was a photo of my wife sitting on a bull. :grin:

Walt

5. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Steve-Welcome to the best bee forum on the net! By the sounds of it, you are going to fit right in. :thumbsup:

6. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Hey Steve! Welcome to the forums, I'm loving it here so far, stumbled onto a nice group of folks here on the internet.

My husband and I want to have about 5 acres in a few years ourselves for...well, just the kind of things it sounds like you've got going on. I hope to start canning myself this year and so I may have to hit you up for some pointers and tips. I tried a few refrigerator pickle recipes last year, but they just aren't as good as true canned pickles.

I started heirloom planting and saving last year and my husband is starting a seed library in town this year. I've been seriously brushing up on seed saving procedures and pollination and all of that stuff because I've been "volunteered" to help give some of the presentations we'll be doing to teach folks how to save. We should swap some seeds some time!

7. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Perry, I have a rather odd group of nerds for friends, and we'll often jokingly talk about our plans for "when the zombie invasion comes". I have strong argument for how "rich" I could be in a "*#!! in a handbasket" world because I'd have the bees and the honey. It's medicinal, it's sweet and humans love sweets, you can brew alcohol from it, NO ONE would try to steal it so any bad folks would leave me alone if I traded my honey, bees are self-sustaining and less affected by nature like a crop would be...and...yeah...should the end of the world happen, I think all us keepers are going to come out on top!

...and maybe I've been overthinking this way too much...

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Howdy, yankee. Glad you made it here. I can't say I'm self sufficient. I'm just stingy. I had 22 deer given to me last winter. 15 of them, I processed and canned, froze, and made sausage and jerky. I gave 7 to friends who raise gardens. :D "wonder why"

We can over a hundred jars a year and make jellies, pickles, jams, ETC. I paid 60.00 each for 2 250 lb. hogs this year and killed and processed them myself. I have fish, raccoon, turtle, alligator, ETC. in my2 freezers.

We may not have money, but we eat REAL good.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

10. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Im coming overc for dinner....

11. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Welcome to the forum Steve. Jim

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

a great big welcome steve!

was wondering how a guy from arkansas using the term 'fixin' in a post called himself 'yankee'..........:lol:
    again welcome and look forward to your posts, and as hogwild said it is the best forum on the net!

13. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Welcome Steve! I have almost 7 acres. Not trying to be self sufficient but it's getting that way! I plant food plots for the deer which I eat of course! Turkeys too.

Started Tapping trees and making Maple Syrup this year...YUMMY! Got my first Bee's this year and this weekend we are plowing for the Veggie Garden. Wife is gonna get into canning too.

If I could get her to eat Venison I'd tell her lets try and eat only foods and veggies from our property for a year but she won't eat "Bambi"...

But if the chit ever hits the fan and stores aren't there to buy from...we'll be fine and she will have to eat "Bambi" lol!

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Steve and welcome to the forum!! :hi:

15. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome Steve, you came to the right place, and the beekeeping is the right thing for you.
    Another 5 acres "farmer" in development here.:smile: Have bees, planted fruit trees, built garden beds, seeding white clover is my idea of weed control, and yes, I passed the hunting exam:lol: My property is on a deer path, so the next thing I'm getting is a nice shotgun. Like the idea of self sufficiency. You will like it here.

16. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I was hoping you were a NY Yankee fan. Not many of us around here in North Alabama where I'm from. Good luck with you bees and gardens.

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Greetings on your joining the forum. On your way to independence, you can learn a lot here about making your own bee equipment. Some of the members are real masters!:smile:

18. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :D

We have 5 acres, too, and try to do like you with a garden, canning, etc. This is my first year for bees and chickens.

For some reason, cabbage grows like crazy around here, so I end up making a lot of sauerkraut. With the warm early temperatures, we'll have tomatoes in a week to 10 days and some of our peppers are already ready to pick. :)

19. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ok,

I know this is a Bee Forum, but here is a few shots of the garden and my first canning of the year. Just getting started.

2012-05-02_19-20-55_22.jpg

2012-05-12_22-59-31_108.jpg

2012-05-13_10-07-09_98.jpg

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Steve, You've got a good looking garden there--choking the weeds with straw covering.:thumbsup: Looks like you're going to have a great yield.
    If you do much more canning/bottling you won't have any bottles left or room to store your honey crop. :rolling:

My mouth is already watering, thinking of how good your honey is going to be. :grin: