New to me hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, May 21, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I wanted to post a picture of one of the hives that a cutout customer found in her old barn. Her father was going to get into bee keeping but never did. He accumulated 10 deeps, 10 mediums, several shallows, observation hive, and various tools.
    Anyway, these hives have a solid bottom board and can be used either side up, a shallow 3/8" side or a taller side which I didn't measure but probably an inch. I liked the 3/8" side up and just set the entrance reducer in front so it can't slide under the hive body and get glue'd in by the bees.
    There is no inner cover on these hives. I've been using a few of them for a month now and I have to say I don't miss the inner cover and am wondering if all the ones I bought for my modern backyard beekeeper hives aren't just "hive bling" lol.
    The top covers are a piece of masonite? rough on one side and real smooth on the other. There is a sheet metal pan and a frame to make it telescoping.
    I waterproofed and clear-coated all the boxes.

new hives cr.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Nice equipment. When you go to remove a telescoping lid and it is destroyed before the propolis lets go, you will know what the inner lid does. It's just a matter of time.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i love free equipment, especially that look that good! gimmees!

eddy said:
    "I have to say I don't miss the inner cover and am wondering if all the ones I bought for my modern backyard beekeeper hives aren't just "hive bling" lol.

LOL on the 'hive bling' eddy, i will have to remember that one :thumbsup:, lots of 'hive blings' out there, the inner cover doesn't fall in that category.....the 'bling' comes when you try to pry off the telescoping lid as iddee said.....:lol:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an Iddee snip..
    When you go to remove a telescoping lid and it is destroyed before the propolis lets go, you will know what the inner lid does. It's just a matter of time.

tecumseh:
    and the choir says.... AMEN.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

...looks like I'll be ordering some "hive bling" lol.....warning heeded...thanks!

It's bugging me that I have 2 deep ends and 1 deep side left over. If anyone knows who makes this stuff I'd like to see if they'd ship me just the 1 finger jointed side piece along with a bunch of inner covers. This way I'd have another deep box. I put an email in to Better Bee because their stuff looks similar.
    I have some finger jointed Brushy boxes but the fingers don't line up :sad:

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good looking equipment. Don't know if you'll have any luck just buying pieces of a box though. If you keep enough hives for a while, rest assured that the need for those "spare parts" will surface soon enough. :lol:

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

True Perry,

For what it would cost to ship it here I could drive 10 miles to the bee supply and buy a few deep boxes lol :doh:

8. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I found out where the boxes came from....

box.JPG