New trap out set today

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Iddee, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Apartment building in Burlington, NC today.
    Jacobs and I set the trap at 10:30 AM and had bees carrying pollen into the catch box before 11:00. Will check tomorrow for alternative entrances. Should have queen cells capped by next weekend.

[​IMG]

More Pics.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/ ... ingtonApt/

2. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

That stand on which the box is sitting is snazy! Did you fabricate it especially for this job?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A client fabricated it for a trap on his house. It has adjustable telescopic legs to fit different heights. It works quite well.

4. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Such a stand might have to go on my "to-do" list for building projects! A very handy thing to have for trap-outs.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Checked the trap today. Removed the box with 4 frames of bees and 11 queen cells. Cut one cell out and put in the new box, which I left on the trap. Cut two cells out and gave them to Rob to start a nuc. Brought the rest home and made nucs with two more cells. Total count, 5 nucs, if they all make it. Got a cutout to do Tues. morning with Mama Beek and family.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

you the man I checked the 4 way split I did 2 weeks ago didnt pull any frames but all have a good population of bees and I added another 5 frame box on each one. let us know if you get all 5 nucs going :thumbsup:

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I set up a trap out a week or so ago. I posted about that some where else. I can't believe that the beesare all out now. I'm going to look for another entrance. The nuc sure isn't full of bees. And I would expect some bees to come out of the cone even now.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They are coming out. Just not often enough for you to see them. You got the foragers. Now you will get the house bees as they mature and make their first flight. Much slower then the first week. It takes a minimum 4 weeks, and as long as 12. Average is 6 to 7 weeks.

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

It must be a pretty small colony. They were in the wall last year and all winter. I believethat they weren't alive this spring and that I may have repopulated the cavity w/ a swarm from one of my nuics. Isaw pollen laiden bees going in back before I installed the cone. That says to me that there was a queen and brood.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If so, they may abscond shortly. If you have eggs in another week, you will know they did.

11. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

You do make it look easy. I'm jealous I'm week 4 and pulled 1 hive and I've got 1 nuc with a laying queen. I'm guessing the trap out is about done there's only about 5-10 bees behind the screen. I'm thinking its about time to rob the honey from the tree just like pooh bear. What do you think.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think they will begin restocking with pollen and nectar and you will have to start all over again.
    It isn't time to remove the cone until no bees leave the cone for 4 days. Not even one.

13. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Gotta new digital camera for Fathers Day. Now just have to learn how to get from camera to computer. Once I figure out how to get my new lap top up and running.