Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A client fabricated it for a trap on his house. It has adjustable telescopic legs to fit different heights. It works quite well.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked the trap today. Removed the box with 4 frames of bees and 11 queen cells. Cut one cell out and put in the new box, which I left on the trap. Cut two cells out and gave them to Rob to start a nuc. Brought the rest home and made nucs with two more cells. Total count, 5 nucs, if they all make it. Got a cutout to do Tues. morning with Mama Beek and family.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
you the man I checked the 4 way split I did 2 weeks ago didnt pull any frames but all have a good population of bees and I added another 5 frame box on each one. let us know if you get all 5 nucs going :thumbsup:

·
Registered
840 Posts
I set up a trap out a week or so ago. I posted about that some where else. I can't believe that the beesare all out now. I'm going to look for another entrance. The nuc sure isn't full of bees. And I would expect some bees to come out of the cone even now.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are coming out. Just not often enough for you to see them. You got the foragers. Now you will get the house bees as they mature and make their first flight. Much slower then the first week. It takes a minimum 4 weeks, and as long as 12. Average is 6 to 7 weeks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It must be a pretty small colony. They were in the wall last year and all winter. I believethat they weren't alive this spring and that I may have repopulated the cavity w/ a swarm from one of my nuics. Isaw pollen laiden bees going in back before I installed the cone. That says to me that there was a queen and brood.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If so, they may abscond shortly. If you have eggs in another week, you will know they did.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You do make it look easy. I'm jealous I'm week 4 and pulled 1 hive and I've got 1 nuc with a laying queen. I'm guessing the trap out is about done there's only about 5-10 bees behind the screen. I'm thinking its about time to rob the honey from the tree just like pooh bear. What do you think.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think they will begin restocking with pollen and nectar and you will have to start all over again.
It isn't time to remove the cone until no bees leave the cone for 4 days. Not even one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts