New upcoming keeper

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by R Dewhurst, Aug 15, 2012.

1. R Dewhurst

R Dewhurst New Member

Hello to all. Since my dad has been out of work, we are going to venture into beekeeping. We have talked about it for years, but willl be going into it in the spring. We have plans to build the hives, so that will be our winter projects. Any tips or advice on where to get package bees would be great.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome fellow Hoosier! I would recommend Graham's BeeWorks down in Morgantown. www.grahamsbeeworks.com. Let your local county and city dispatchers know to put you on the swarm list. Further, advise your local exterminators that you would like to be notified if they nave a customer call them for bees. Finally, leave your information on the DNR website in the bee section for swarm list. You will have to do some digging for that section. Read up on catching swarms here. It's easy and a great free way to get bees for a hive. Some of my best colonies were from swarms this year.

3. R Dewhurst

R Dewhurst New Member

So when you catch swarms, do you use the lure I have seen online with swarm traps or nucs?

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome R Dewhurst to the froum you can learn a lot here, great place to be.

kebee

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Plain old lemongrass oil and a box with a couple of frames, or better yet an empty log with a hole in the side and a wooden roof screwed on and no bait. (make sure you can get them back OUT of that one). And welcome.

but as a money-making proposition, I wouldn't making my living as a beek. Love my hobby though.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome to the forum R D. :hi: You and your dad will have a lot of work this winter if you want to make all your equipment yourselves and make a living off of hives. Allow me one advance word of advice on the carpentry---make your measurements and your cuts as exact as possible. Good fits are very important for all hive equipment. joints and surfaces that don't fit together are an invitation for pests (wax moths, Small Hive Beetle) and robbers.
    When you're not at the machines, study hard---making a living from bees requires a lot of knowledge and making mistakes is more costly than for hobbyists.
    We wish you a lot of succes in your new venture. If we can help you along in any way, don't hesitate to ask. :grin:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Buying a package of bees will cost you about 75 to 100 dollars.

Doing a removal of bees from a house or business will MAKE you about 3 or 4 hundred dollars, plus the bees. Keep that in mind if you want to make money with bees.

8. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Welcome to the forum.

One book for your reading list could be Honey Farming by R O B Manley. Published originally in 1946 in the UK, it is still in print.

Although I am a hobbyist, I find his attitude and philosophies still worth noting (and following).

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome R Dwhurst:

You have found a great place to put your feet up and spend a spell. Lots of friendly folks here that will be only too happy to offer advice.
    I too at one time thought about trying to earn a living doing this wonderful thing. After keeping a few hives for a few years I decided to expand (a little) and quickly found out it is not as easy as increasing your numbers. There is a learning curve with bees and they will be quick to show you how steep it can be. Slow and steady increases will limit the amount of downturn that one can experience and deal with.
    There's a reason most of us dip our toes in the water before we jump in. :wink:

11. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

12. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome to the forum.:hi:

13. R Dewhurst

R Dewhurst New Member

I guess my original post was worded abit wrong. Me and my dad are not looking to make a profit off of bee keeping. Just a hobby size. No more than 5 hives. Dad went on disability for heart and breathing issues. He has always wanted to have bee hives so I am gonna try to make that happen for him.

14. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Hello and Welcome!

Where in Indiana are you located? There are numerous local bee clubs - good places to find mentors and get connected to nearby beekeepers. Here's a list of most of them (there are a couple newer ones that aren't on this list):
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/files/ep-beekeeper_assoc.pdf

The Indiana State Beekeepers offer a beginning beekeeping class twice a year. Next one is Oct 27th in Danville (just west of Indy). The website (http://www.hoosierbuzz.com/) hasn't been updated yet for the fall class, but I'd be happy to get you more info if you're interested.

There are other beginner's classes offered in various places from time to time. Roger Graham at Graham's Beeworks that blueblood mentioned offers classes, and every January there's a class offered at several IvyTech locations (http://www.indianabeekeepingschool.com/).

And, of several bee forums, I don't believe you'll find a friendlier place to post questions than here!

15. blueblood

blueblood New Member

R, that is one way. And, to better describe that method, take a look at this video and threat stickie. Both links have a person in common that has already responded to your thread, Iddee. I reviewed both of these before doing several doing trap-outs. However, I was also referring to simply getting a call of a swarm hanging from a tree, tractor, car, bicycle, house, etc., and using a box (hive box, cardboard, tub) to drop/catch them in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqFbiaD ... e=youtu.be
    http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/1780-So-you-want-to-do-a-trapout

You would be very beneficial for you to start reading at the beginning of the threads that are stickied on the main page of the forums tab http://www.beekeepingforums.com/forum.php under "beekeeping." And, get some books...

And, you say five hives now, but wait until the "bug" catches you, ha! I couldn't stop building more and more.

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Well RD, First of all, we wish your dad well. If he does his beekeeping at the proper pace, and under supervision, together with his son, it might prove to be therapeutic for him. :amen:
    Your added info ("clarification") changes the whole picture. Start easy, build at a relaxed pace, and I would recommend that in the spring you start with two hives. They should not be too taxing yet allow you to get the hang of things at a reasonable pace. With two hives, one serves as a backup for the other, in case anything serious goes wrong.
    Enjoy. :grin:

17. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Please ignore my reference to Manley.

You may wish to read him when you have gained some experience. This forum will be a good place for you to learn of beekeeping from the experiences of newbees, old bees and some very old bees. :eek:ldtimer: :grin:

18. R Dewhurst

R Dewhurst New Member

Indypartridge:

I am located in Shelbyville. Also I came to find out that I work with a bee keeper at honda that is from new castle. Very well know fellow. I started talking to him yesterday. He recommended http://www.indianabeekeepingschool.com/. Wonder if he is on here? He said he knows of some forums for bee keeping.

19. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha! Small world. I am a city officer in Shelbyville. I have two trap-outs already planned for next spring. It's too late to do them now. One is in a Catalpa tree and one in a bedford stone porch pillar. I will try to remember to drop you a line then to see if you want to tag along when I do them and swarm calls. I am a pretty busy guy but if you need something, I will try to help ya out with questions or whatever over the winter when you guys build your hives and next spring starting your hives up. I am not an expert and this was my first year but have learned tons about getting the bee yard started and maintained...

20. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Me again. :lol:
    First, thank you for doing what you are to help your father realize an ambition he has had. Always great to see family work at something together.
    Second, with members like Indy and Blueblood, you can see why this is a great place to "hang out".
    You will not find a more giving group of people, of their collective wisdom and often their time.
    They constantly amaze me. :thumbsup: