new wax melter question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Bhodi, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Bhodi

Bhodi New Member

I put together a solar wax melter last week and tried it out with a few chunks of old, dry comb. It seems to work OK.

I have a small bucket with some burr comb I've been collecting, but some still has nectar in it. I'm hesitant to put it into the melter not knowing how I would deal with the nectar and honey once it ran into the pan.

What do I do with sticky old burr comb, sticky cappings and wax from crush-and-strain before melting it?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Leave it outside for the bees to clean up, in a day or so there will not be any honey or nector.

G3

3. rast

rast New Member

Just keep your eyes open for robbing if you have any weak hives. If you have any kind of flow going, that lessens the inclination to rob.Depends on your bee's also.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If you are worried about robbing put the wax a good distance away from your hives, say 50 to 100 yards.

G3

5. Bhodi

Bhodi New Member

Simple enough! When I do this, though, I end up feeding more yellowjackets than honey bees. I'll try it and see what happens.

What happens to any honey or nectar that does end up in the wax melter? I know it will end up in the catch pan, but will it be easy to separate from the wax? Will I be able to pour it off the wax cake and save it?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It will separate and go to the bottom. The wax will harden on top and you can lift it off.