New weather terminology

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by srvfantexasflood, Jun 10, 2011.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Did you feel that "heat burst" last night, Riverrat?
    The paper is reporting the temperature around Wichita jumped from 85 degrees to 102 in a matter of 20 minutes! And... it happened in the middle of the night!
    I love the names they come up with for these weather related incidents. Micro burst is another one I hadn't heard of until 15 years ago.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I slept right through it. It was pretty much as a micro burst where there is a lot of damage in a relatively small area. This so called heat burst was right where they are holding the annual riverfest this week. They said it took the roof of one building. and knocked down some limbs.
    A good story on micro burst was in Ottawa. They condemned the old jr high school because the school board for years had wanted a new jr high. But the bond would never pass on the ballot. So they found an engineer that said the slightest wind will take the building down. They got there new jr high. While arguing over what to do with the old buillding. (the school board wanted it demolished to hide the fact the building was not as week as they said) A micro burst hit in the area took down oak and walnut trees but not a brick was disturbed. Today it is being used as housing apartments for retirees.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I never could figure out why they just will not remodel older structures, they are built solid as a rock.

Already got the floor walls and roof, just gut the thing and put modern stuff inside.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Exactly I went thru that old school no carpet, air conditioning, and computers. Our heat was with steam and radiators in the rooms. I survived. The thing is I laugh about is it was unsafe to put a kid in the building. But strong enough to put the kids grandmother in. It just dont make since.The town finally saved the building by having it put on the registry of historic places since George Washburn designed it. The guy that bought it said it was a steal at $100,000 he went in kept the hard wood floors put in central air and an elevator. He kept the theme school rooms complete with the chalk boards left in the rooms. I have been told the grand kids love them. They never been around a real chalk board before. They have a dinning hall. They put up a screen in the old autitorium where they can watch movies. the gym/ basketball court is now a recreation and exercise room. Gauranteed he had less in it than the school board did the new Jr high

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is my kind of guy, making money with your head not your hands!