New World Carniolan or Italian

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Buckeye, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Buckeye

Buckeye New Member

I live in North East Ohio and I've been debating these two bees in my head for weeks! Need some help deciding, sometimes our winters up here get brutal but I also don't want to worry about swarming..

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

my two cents between the 2 for ohio....
    new world carni's

if i missed your introduction, WELCOME TO THE FORUM, happy trails through here and happy bees to you! :wave:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am pretty much an old school itialian beekeeper myself. I live in the southern US and everything I have looks either somewhat or very itialian. if contrary to the teaching of my mama, I ever lived north of the Mason Dixon line (god forgive me for even thinking such a though) I would be likely attending to carnoilian type bees. Tim over at honey run apairies use to produce some nice looking carnoilians. not quite local for you but not that far away either.

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I live west of you and have Italians/local mutts. 8 hives and no problems. If I re-queen at some point, I may try the carnis.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I still like the Idea of local stock no matter what the breed. As most bees are mutts doue to open breeding of new queens. I try to stick to making increases by picking up local swarms and splits from my hives that are strong and do well.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I agree with riverrat, i would buy local queens, i have less problems with superseding when i buy local queens( or from areas with similar weather patterns). The carniolan breed seem to do better in my area (if there is such a thing.) and i've had about all the races that have come along sence the sixties. Jack

7. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I bought local queens from what appeared to me to be the most successful beekeeper in my area. He was running banner adds on beekeeping groups at least. gotta pay for that somehow. The result was a nuc that appers to have a little more than luck in the quality of the queen. bets the tar out of a swarm and two nucs full of bees from a local trap out. I can't wait to see what she does next spring with a bunch of frames with empty cells. I will most likely be going back next year for replacement queens from this source as well.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Jack snip..
    I agree with riverrat, i would buy local queens

tecumseh:
    I would agree but there is an exception here. Primarily most of the stuff I have here that was purchased and not reared was from a very local source but then again Navasota Texas is only 20 miles down the road. The exception of course is that some times you either want to raise (I do this with II queens) or purchase stock (for me this means mated and laying queens) that is at least somewhat unrelated to your exist stock to maintain some degree of genetic diversity or counter some potential health problem (often directly related to lack of genetic diversity).

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Every few (3 or 4) years i do buy queens from other states for genetic diversity like tec. said. I will usually order 10 to 20 queens, on an average i will have a third of them superseded and the ones that do make good queens i will steal eggs from and raise queens to mate with my drones and send them to my outyards. I'm lucky in some of the areas i have outyards, because there are still a good number of feral hives (survivers):thumbsup: Jack