New York City..

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Medic1259, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Hi all, Newbie from New York City. I will have my first hive this year (2012). Can't wait to start.
    Mike

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

Hi Medic, welcome to the Forums:wave:

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Mike the Medic and welcome to the forums :hi:

Good luck with your new beekeeping adventure!

Ask any and all questions you have and someone will get back to ya with an answer or two or three or........

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

Welcome Mike !!

6. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Welcome to the best forum on the net!

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Mike, Glad you found us. We're a friendly group here with a wide range of experience.
    Hope to see you hanging around.:hi:

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

howdy Medic1259 and welcome.

so are you going to be a roof top beekeeper? we have cousins in New York City and they have tenants who keep a hive on their roof top. it is pretty neat to be in a city that large and that humanly dense and think there are still bee hives and bee keeper around.

9. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Welcome from San Francisco Mike. Are you planning rooftop hives? I have 12 on my 4 story roof top in the city and it's a great place to have bees.

10. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thanks all for the warm welcome to the forum. I will not be doing a rooftop hive ( atleast for this year). I am starting with 1 hive in my backyard. I almost did not get any bees because i didnt know that most are ordered by Jan, for the spring. I was luck to find a place (in NJ) that did have a few Nucs left for first week in May. I was also able to join a local group , so I hope that if I need some guidance thay can help. If not I will be asking alot of questions..lol I am hoping if all is well that next year I can approach the local Botanical Garden about placing a hive or two there.

Are there any other members from this Forum from the NY(NYC) / NJ area?
    Mike

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome to the forum Mike. How do you ever expect to take care off bees? My experience with medics is that they barely have time to breathe and when they have time, the only thing they can do with it is catch up on sleep.:shock:
    We wish you plenty of time for everything and if we can help, we'll do our best.

12. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :) If you could find bees that like concrete and asphalt, you'd have it made!

13. jim314

jim314 New Member

Welcome Mike !!

14. Omie

Omie New Member

Welcome from a fellow New Yorker who roller skated the sidewalks of the city til i was 12. :)
    Lots of flowering trees in the city, for sure! And i bet there are plenty of 'feral' meadows with wildflowers in Staten Island.
    Good luck with your bees this Spring!

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I seem to recall that Jim Fischer was with the NYC Botanical Garden... I wonder if he is still there?

There seems to be a lot of medic/fireman folks here in Texas that are interested in bees. I always wondered if the draw was the obvious physical nature of beekeeping or the perceived risk?

I seem to recall upon my last visit to NYC that there were some 'community gardens' on the lower end of the island that had bee hives <don't know how exactly that was done??? At that time keeping bees by individuals in at least the lower part of Manhattan was illegal. I think perhaps the ones like the one now kept on the cousins roof are now permitted by the city.

Good luck and may your bee keeping always be enjoyable...

16. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Each of the boroughs have a Botanical Garden , so I am going to hit the Staten Island one first.lol

It may be that in Tx the reason there are so many FD/Medics intreasted in bees may be because of the problem with AHB? I inow if they were up here I would have wanted to know alot more a long time ago.

In NYC the ban on beekeeping was lifted about 18months ago. We do have to register our hive #'s and loctions with the Dept of Health.
    as of now no fee but knowing NYC i am sure there will be a yearly fee sonner then later..

17. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I am going to paint flowers in the streets ..lol hope that works....

18. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thanks , Well now I am a Lieutenant so I dont work as hard...lol I wish I could put a hive on the roof of the station but I am sure the city would never allow it.lol

19. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Still in the City, Upstate, ?