Newb in WI

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by flyweed, Mar 21, 2013.

1. flyweed

flyweed New Member

Hey all, I have been reading up all winter on bee's and bee keeping. I have always wanted to start an Apiary, but with raising kids, living in the city, etc just didn't think it possible. Fast Forward.......now we live up the beautiful bluffs along the mississippi river and own 4 acres of woods, yard etc. I would LOVE to setup my first bee hive this spring. I am teetering between a Warre model or standard Langstroth, as I've read good and bad about both.

Anyway.....just wanted to say "HI" and hope to talk to all of you alot more as I proceed on this new venture.

Dan

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome flyweed, to our friendly part of the beekeeping community. :hi:
    You have started right, reading, watching videos, hanging out here :wink: :thumbsup:.
    You will find a great group of people here, all only too willing to share their knowledge and experiences with you.
    If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome Dan! Most would recommend two hives for various reasons we can explain later. Also, I would recommend a Lang over the Warre simply because components are more interchangeable and more readily available on the retail scene. However, you will be the only person to know which is best for you. You found a great place to dive deeper in this thing we call beekeeping.

4. flyweed

flyweed New Member

thanks guys. I do understand about the "two hives" already, for swarming issues. Always good to have a second ready. Like I said, this will be my first, so I think I'd like to start with a setup that has one deep brood box and then maybe 2 medium honey producers.

SPeaking of which..if anyone has some old ones they'd like to get rid of....I KNOW A GUY looking for some to start out with!! ;)

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome, Dan.

I would suggest starting with 2 langstroth hives "with bees" and then an empty for swarms. After you complete your 2nd year, then think about if you want a Warre, top bar, or other type hive. You will find that will be the easiest and most successful way to begin.

6. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

7. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome Dan! Glad to have you with us on the forum, this place can be a great help, it has for me in the first year.

kebee

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Dan - spare parts and readily interchangeable equipment are priceless, and 2 hives, so if one crashes you have brood to start over with.. Just when you think you have everything stable, something happens to surprise you. Welcome - you have come to the right place.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome to THE forum!

I would suggest if you are just starting out to first try to have some success with a langstroth and if that works out maybe move to a warre hive later. A top bar hive guy in our bee club has an interesting by line that goes... 'the easy way is hard enough'.... and between the choices of lang and warre I myself suspect this motto would hold a bit of truth.

ps... it seems a disproportionate number of us here are attracted to water... rivers to be exact... what's that about?

10. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

You are already getting good advice here.

I would endorse the advice to go for 2 identical hives in your first year. There are many good reasons for this set up.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

tecumseh-
    "ps... it seems a disproportionate number of us here are attracted to water... rivers to be exact... what's that about? "

:lol:
    WELCOME flyweed......[​IMG]
    where are you on the mississip in sw wisconnie?

12. flyweed

flyweed New Member

Thanks for all of your advice.....Ok, sounds like two langstroth setups it is. I am pretty handy at woodworking (built a grandfather clock my sr. year of high school) and have been doing various wood projects ever since. Is there any plans out there for Langstroths? I've seen some plans for the Warre, and that would be easy enough to build, I assume that a Langstroth would be just as easy.

Dan

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would suggest building tops, bottoms, and boxes, then buying frames and foundation. Frames can only be made economically on automated machines.

14. Ray

Ray Member

Welcome and good luck:thumbsup:
    Anybody that can build a G.father clock, can build a Lang in their sleep:grin:.
    Ahh, but you didn't ask :evil:whether, you should use mediums or deeps:shock: :rolling:.

Don't ask me, I ain't decided.:eek:

15. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum Dan

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what Iddee said in regards to the question of what to make and what to build. I would also suggest you want to have a frame in hand before you build and assemble the boxes <some exactness in fit is required here.. optimally being neither too snug nor too loose. the frames also need to be matched to your foundation choice. there are no 'industry standards' here so kelley frames are a bit different from Dadant frames and a foundation that will work in one may quite well not work in the other. the same no industry standard also seem to apply to the boxes so any dimension specification on plans will (or could) vary to some degree.

17. jb63

jb63 New Member

Welcome aboard Flyweed.

18. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome Flyweed, enjoy the ride:smile:

19. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

20. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member