Newbee from Aabama

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by beecrazy101, Jun 17, 2012.

1. beecrazy101

beecrazy101 New Member

I am a new beek that has been interested in bees for over three years. In this time I have been reading and researching bees to get as much knowledge of the little girls. I got my first 2 five frame nucs. April 20. Within two weeks I found a queen cell capped so I did a split from taking one frame from each nuc. That nuc took off like crazy and I just put it in its own eight frame hive body last Monday. I am going all foundationless in all deeps. So far they are drawing some of the nicest combs. I bought two carnoilan queens which I just received yesterday and put them in their own nuc boxes with two frames from each of my other two original hives. My goal is to have 25-35 hives by next year. I am really falling for these little girls. Even though one stung me in my eyelid last week when I was just trying to peek in. Oh well, lesson learned.:thumbsup:

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome to the forum. From the way you are expanding, it sounds like you are implementing all of your studies A+.
    Are you building, buying or inheriting all the equipment you'll be needing? It culd come to a very hefty investment. Why are you in such a rush to expand so much in your first year. What if you decide that it isn't "your thing" and you get left with all that iinvestment that hasn't yet paid for itself? Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of bees, but usually it pays to look before you leap. I hope you successfully meet your goal of hives, but it really is a big jump. :roll:

3. beecrazy101

beecrazy101 New Member

I just bought a nice table saw so that I can start building my own equipment. I have always had a fasination with bees. I was introduced to them when I was twelve by a man I worked with picking apples at his orchard. He showed me a lot about them. Then I hit my teens and got a little crazy. Then life went on and I always wanted to have bees but never really had the room or place to have them. I am out there every day watching, learning and just talking to them. Sounds a little nuts, but it relaxes me. My wife laughs at me saying if I could marry them I would. They are fasinating creatures. I like to have hobbies, but this is one that I can spend a little time with and just enjoy. The next expansion that I am doing will be another split from the canoilans. I am looking for some pure buckfast bees also. I have found a man in Australia that will ship me some but I am waiting on my permit from the government so I can ship them in the US. I spent three years do my studies and internet searchs on every aspect. I've been working on getting my two acres ready to plant. I have done and extensive search on herbs to benefit bees since I do not want to use any chemicals and keep them naturally. My wife has always wanted a nice garden so I am going to give her a herbal garden that she will be proud of. As I am getting older I like hobbies and little side business. I work as a crane operator and work 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I do get some days off but usually far and few between. My wife is even getting into it.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome tot the forum beecrazy101 :hi:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

first off a big welcome from Central Texas.

and then a snip..
    I got my first 2 five frame nucs. April 20. Within two weeks I found a queen cell capped so I did a split from taking one frame from each nuc. That nuc took off like crazy and I just put it in its own eight frame hive body last Monday. I am going all foundationless in all deeps. So far they are drawing some of the nicest combs. I bought two carnoilan queens which I just received yesterday and put them in their own nuc boxes with two frames from each of my other two original hives. My goal is to have 25-35 hives by next year.

tecumseh:
    imho some of your ways and goals (and I thing efmesch somewhat reflected on this already) may be somewhat in conflict. foundationless is just by design slower than traditional frame and foundation. going from one or two to 30 hives and at the same time overcoming the considerable learning curve involved is quite a large goal for anyone.

and the best of luck to ya' in this new endeavor.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us.
    Sounds like you have done a lot of homework, always a good start. With any growth there will be setbacks, as long as you keep that in mind.
    Have fun with what you do. :thumbsup:

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome Beecrazy!

8. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Welcome Neighbor. I'm in Lawrence County near Moulton. Good luck.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Beecrazy101 says: "...I work as a crane operator and work 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I do get some days off but usually far and few between."
    efmesch asks: Where will you find the time to work your hives? I'm glad your wife is on your side here, but will she be willing to join you at the bees? (Mine won't!). Don't build on doing working with the bees at night---it's not a viable option. At night, when you open a hive, the girls can go crazy.

10. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome Beecrazy101, I'm down in Lee county around where no other beekeep around for miles, so my bees have the area by then selfs. Just started this year and they are doing good even though it was the last part of April I got them. Good luck on your part to increase your bees, I am waiting until next year so they may have a better change of increaseing in size at the beginning of the flow.

kebee

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :)

12. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

13. jim314

jim314 New Member

Welcome beecrazy :wave:

14. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome BC! You could buy Buckfast from Weaver in TX or Miksa in FL or Ferguson in Canada. If you really want to spend the extra money importing, please buy me a tractor and I will drop off your Buckfast bees.

15. beecrazy101

beecrazy101 New Member

Thank you for your hospitality. I know there will be set backs just like in any hobby dealing with living creatures. I work swing shifts, so I will be on days for a while and then go to nights. I find time either in the morning to open the hive to take none invasive peaks, which cost me a sting in the eyelid once, but hey she was just doing her job by protecting the hive. Then when I go to nights I will stay up for a couple hours, sometimes having a couple drinks and put my veil on no suits, I like to get stung once in a while to build my immune system to them. I know my expectations are high, but why not reach for the sky. As far as the foundationless frames, I have read that they build comb faster without foundation then with. Plus you never know what chemicals are in the contaminated foundations. My wife in a few years wants to learn to make candles, so pure comb is the only answer. Plus I am studying on making my own mead in the future for my own reward. I like to have a few here and there, so why not make something that people have enjoy for hundreds if not thousands of years. I am looking forward to talking to many of you. :thumbsup:

16. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I work 12-hour swing shifts. I know the feeling of finding time to do things (especially when working a lot of overtime). However, getting home early in the morning when it's cool is an advantage sometimes (if I'm not too tired).

There's always something to learn or try with bees and stuff (I just made a solar wax melter and just mounted my extractor to a pallet). Yeah, I get excited by simple things, I guess!

Good luck in your adventures! :)