newbee from MN

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by radarguy, Dec 20, 2017.

1. radarguy

radarguy New Member

Hello all,

I'm a retired radar engineer now living in the Minneapolis, MN area. I do a lot of woodworking these days and was looking for a winter project to get me through the next few frigid months here in Minneapolis. My sister was recently telling me about her son-in-law's hobby of beekeeping. I thought that was interesting so I looked into it a little bit and bought a couple of books on Amazon. One of the books was "Building Beehives for Dummies." I've now begun building a Langstroth hive in my woodshop and hope to be able to start a hive this spring.

I am certain to have lots of questions and I know that forums are an ideal way to get these questions answered; as well as finding out lots of other useful information. I hope to have the chance to chat with many of you on this forum and look forward to beekeeping in the near future. I'll post some pictures of my progress on the Langstroth hive soon.

Thanks,

Kevin (radarguy)

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome. The one thing I had trouble with on home built hives was not having the ledge deep enough for the frames I was using. Before you get everything assembled you might order some frames, and see if they will hang in the hive. Beespace is not over 3/8ths of an inch, you might search the term. Good luck to you

3. radarguy

radarguy New Member

I will be pricing frames this weekend. I might make my own if it is a significant savings. But I will definitely check out the 'ledge' to make sure it's deep enough.
    Kevin

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member