Newbee got to help work some bees today!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Beeracuda, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

I'm so new, I don't even have bees yet! But, after a post on FB a friend told me her Uncle was going to work his bees today and wanted to know if we were interested in going over there. Of course we were there!

He built his TBH's himself and split them last year. He didn't get a whole lot of honey last year and he was out. So, he wanted to see if he could get some. He said the girls have been coming home loaded with pollen for the last several weeks, so he thought he might could get some honey.

The first hive didn't have a whole lot of extra stores built up. It was the one he split off. So we check all the frames and put them back in.

The second hive had quite a bit of honey, so he decided to take a couple of frames.

I am glad I got to observe (a help a little!) but I am happy with my decision on the type of hives I want to have. Even he said he might rethink the TBH's if he was doing it again. I'm not real sure that the problems he was having weren't his own fault, but I think I will stick with the Langstroth style.

OK, I've got to get back to building frames! :grin:

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

That's the way to start. When you get your bees, ask your friend's uncle if he'd like to watch you starting. I'm sure he'll have good advice for you and give you confidence as an experienced hand when you make your first moves.

3. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

I will definitely do that. This is only his 3rd season and he said he has learned a lot. I got in contact with our local beek association and found out when the meetings are. We will be attending those. I can't wait!

4. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Sounds like an excellent beginning. I'm a relative newbie too. Up here we are waiting a bit more before digging into the hives for the first time of the year.

Good luck this year with your new hobby.

5. Lburou

Lburou Member

Wise of you to take the opportunity to look into a hive right at first. :)

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Always a good idea to put on a suit and get your feet wet before going overboard. :thumbsup:
    If going through some hives didn't bother you,..................you're in! :lol:

Now get busy with those frames. :wink:

7. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Not sure how you are going to get your bees. But I started last year with nothing and ended up with 7 hives, free. (bees, that is)

I put my name with the local police dept, fire dept. I also went and gave my name with the local Farmers Coops and hardware/feed stores. I figured farmers would come in looking for chemicals to spray bees; etc.

I got 1 from the police dept, 2 from fire dept, 3 from farmers coop. So it worked well. I am now calling and visiting these folks again to remind them.

Just an idea for free local bees.