NewBee location question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by wadesisk, May 6, 2012.

1. wadesisk

wadesisk New Member

Hello,

Newbie here.
    I just installed my first bee package 2 days ago. Everything looks good.
    Yesterday a friend finds a small swarm in his apple tree(I guess i could have saved a hundred bucks).
    I caught the swarm in a medium that I had bought to put on my first hive, with plywood screwed to the top and bottom. My first ever catch. It went well.

I am planning to leave the new swarm in the medium(with the bottom cracked open as an entrance) until I can buy or build a bottom and top and some more supers.

My questions are--

1. I have already put the new hive about 200 feet away from my first hive. How long does it take a hive to imprint on a location?

2. Should I move the new swarm hive close to my first hive, or should I put some distance between the two?

3. Would it be ok to move for it the first few days, before they learn their location?

4. Should I transfer the new hive to a deep, or would it be ok to just start off with the medium body?

Thanks in advance,
    Wadesisk

2. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

For my convenience, I like to put hives close together to save me walking all over the place. Swarms are mostly nurse bees anyway that haven't done orientation flights on the new location yet. I'd move them wherever you want, and if it makes you feel better, put some little branches or paper or leaves or something over their entrance to encourage any foragers to re-orient on that spot and everything should be fine. You do plan on giving them some 1:1 sugar syrup to start out with I assume.

As far as the size of hive body, if it was me, I'd only put them in a deep. If you let them start drawing medium frames and getting a good brood nest going, how would you move them into a deep when they grow without making them start all over drawing out deep frames? That's assuming that you plan to use deeps as brood boxes, of course.

3. wadesisk

wadesisk New Member

So there's no harm in putting two new jives next to each other? I just wanted to be sure they wouldn't raid each other hive or something before I put them side by side.

4. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

You might want to keep an eye on having a new small hive next to a strong hive during a dearth, that might cause some robbing. But two new hives next to each other on a flow aren't going to bother each other at all.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Put them far enough apart to be able to work one without bumping the other. 3 to 4 feet.

You can start them in the medium and when it is full, set the deep under it. They will work down.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

From my experience, the first night is the best time to move a swarm to its intended permanent location. In the morning they'll make their orientation flights and "lock into" their location. Moving the swarm after they have made this initial orientation will be the same as moving an established hive and require the same relocation procedures if you don't want to lose any of them.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Oh yes, and please forgive my bad manners. I forgot to say "Hello" :hi:
    Welcome to the forum, a great site for beekeeping info and beekeepers socializing. Hope we'll hear from you often. :grin:

8. wadesisk

wadesisk New Member

Thank you for all the info, and thank you for the welcome.

9. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Right, I do most of mine "warm way" so I can put them all inches apart and work them from behind, but I should remember that not everybody does that.