Newbee needs pointed in the right direction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mike B., Nov 26, 2012.

1. Mike B.

Mike B. New Member

Hello: I live in SW Kansas and I'm interested in starting in this fascinating hobby. I'm wondering if one of you guys can provide a link to a thread that would be good for someone like myself who's never done this before. I need all kinds of info. relating to finding the right equipment, where to buy it, where to get bees, how to start and how to keep them healthy. Thanks!

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

3. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

The whole forum section Beekeeping 101 is right up your alley! just start reading and if a question comes up, ask! The members here are willing to help. They won't berate you just because they know something that you don't.

I am a big fan of the "Dummies" series of books. While it isn't the end all bee all of beekeeping, Beekeeping for Dummies has lots of useful information.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Keith

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome. By spring, we will have you fully ready to dive in head first. :D

Here's a fun little test that will give you the correct answers when you are done. It gives a different set of questions each time you take it, so don't stop after one. Also, come back every week or so to see your improvement.

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/3531-Beekeeping-test

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I joined my local beekeeping group, partly for information. (I'd already had bees and had them all robbed out before I joined.) But a lot of why I joined was group purchasing.

We all ordered nucs from one guy this spring, he doesn't have a website, just raises enough bees for local - well Texas is big but pretty local. Wonderful VSH bees, I bought 2 nucs and they have grown to 5 hives if you count my neighbor's - he caught one of my swarms.

Group purchasing saves freight, and if you are buying with a local beekeeping group that knows what to order, you get the benefit of their experience.

Have fun!

Gypsi

6. Mike B.

Mike B. New Member

Thanks for all the replies...Bk 101 is good reading, thx.

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Welcome to this forum. Look here and look up a local bee club in your area they will provide information specific to your area can provide contacts to local suppliers of bees and equipment. But keep coming back here to get all your daily questions answered.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome tot he forum :hi:

All of the above are great answers, for more of a hands on type I would also recommend joining a beekeeping club in your area. If you can not find one close then find an older beekeeper and ask if you can tag along.

FLINT HILLS BKPRS
    Don Morey
    1026 Woodland
    Emporia, KS 66801
    Phone 620-342-3607

KANSAS HONEY PRODUCERS ASSOC
    Joli Winer
    1150 W 151st St.
    Suite D
    Olathe, KS 66061-5881
    Phone 913-768-8967
    Email joli@sbcglobal.net

KS STATE BKPRS ASSOC
    Joli Winer
    1150 W 151st St.
    Suite D
    Olathe, KS 66061-5881
    Phone 913-768-8967
    Email joli@sbcglobal.net

NE KS BEE ASSN
    Robert J Burns
    7601 W. 54th Terrace
    Overland Park, KS 66202-1129
    Phone 913-831-6093
    Email rburns@kc.rr.com
    www http://home.kc.rr.com/busybeehoney/nekba

9. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome Mike! I have a list of suppliers and other beginner information on my web sites -- americasbeekeeper.org and americasbeekeeper.com

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome Mike, glad you found us. You will find an incredibly helpful bunch here so do not hesitate to ask questions. Reading, surfing, and a club are all excellent ideas, and a mentor is worth their weight in liquid gold! :mrgreen:

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome to the very weird world of beekeepers..... did I just say that?

finding a bee club or mentor and reading are both two good first steps. although I highly recommend both of these doing it IS what beekeeping is about. without action all that stuff accumulated between your ears is pretty pointless.

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome Mike! This site is a valuable resource in and of itself. Beekeeping for Dummies book was a valuable start for me last year. The book was good for grasping bee vocabulary more than anything. Check Craigslist every day this winter for used equipment. I think there is valuable lessons to be learned and advantages had with keeping bees with Langstroth type hives but have recently researched Top Bar Hives and found them to be very cost effective. I will have both this next season. I would consider top bar hives if finances is of any concern. It is natural way for bees to build comb and you will not need an expensive extractor to harvest honey. Most top bar hives can be built from scrap lumber/materials you have around the house. It really depends on your needs. Personal interest in bees and honey use, I would strongly consider top bar. You will like it here, good folks. Look forward to seeing your progress....Dave

13. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome Mike B, you have found a great place to find out about bees, know I did, and when you have them you will learn even faster.

kebee

14. Mike B.

Mike B. New Member

I will take a look at top bar hives. Haven't really considered them, mainly because I don't know anything about them. But I will research 'em and see what I find out. Thanks for the option.

15. blueblood

blueblood New Member

You might look at the top bar/alternate hives section on the front forum page http://www.beekeepingforums.com/forums/82-Top-Bar-amp-other-Alternative-Hives for more information. One of the more valuable threads is on page 3 entitled, "Opinions on the Top Bar Hives" by BjornBee. Good stuff! I will most likely always have a Langstroth majority. I am trying a TBH mainly for something fun to do..it's just a bonus that it will be cheaper to build.

16. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

[​IMG]

welcome mike!
    in beekeeping 101, go to post #1, a pdf file you can download if you would like:
    beekeeping basics

also, another book:
    the beekeeper's handbook

lots of great books out there, when you get real 'beeked', you will want them all! :lol:

17. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I have thought about doing that as well, just to say that I've done it and to be able to tell others about the experience. Who knows, it may turn out that it's really the best way to go. :dontknow:

18. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Greg, I have decided to go with Jim314's suggestion, Philip Chandler top bar hive plans. I have spent the last 4 days or so looking for a good one and I had already picked Jim's suggestion without knowing it. I am going to modify a bit by using solid bottom boards and air holes at the top as Adam Foster suggested. More modifications likely to come. I am now tinkering with a good lid and leaning toward a wood shingle sort of thing. http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/phil...ld-a-top-bar-hive/ebook/product-15321150.html (You have to go through the motions of adding to cart/paying for this but it is free). Per the author's advice to read over the plans a few times. The plans made complete sense after the 3rd time reading.

19. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

With all I have going on, it might be a year or two before I get around to doing TBH. (there's 7 or 8 boxes from Kelley and Brushy coming in on UPS today full of bee stuff for next year). But there will be plenty of time to research and learn in the meantime. :)