newbee nuc question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by farmall 140, May 11, 2012.

1. farmall 140

farmall 140 New Member

Well we picked up our beautiful new ladies last nite but now I have a slight problem. We have our girls in wooden nuc boxes that have hardware cloth over the nuc entrance's but we wont have our hives in place and set up until tomorrow evening. They have been screened in the nucs since last nite and we have noticed that the girls get really active and try to chew thier way through the wire screen and theI tops of the nuc boxes start to get warmwhen the truck stops and there is no airflow in the cab. Is this a ventilation problem? And question B when we get home this after noon should I set the nucs out where the hives will be and take the screen off the entrances so they can get out? C if I let them out will they return to the nucs at nite or do I worry abuot them absconding after this ordel of being in the truck for 24 hrs? Because a:beg:s I said we cant hive them until tomorrow nite. Any ideas would be helpful.:beg:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Keep the truck as cold as possible and give them all the ventilation you can on the way home. Once there, set the nuc where you will have the hive permanently and release them. They will orient to the location and will have no problem when you hive them, whether today, tomorrow, or next week.

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

If you are worried about the bee's overheating you can place them in a cool area until ready to hive, they should have a couple of honey frames. I have not had much experience with nucs but I have kept packages for 48 hours til hiving with no issues; Kept them cool and misted with sugar water. Others can probably give better advice to the length of time to hold over nucs.

If your intentions are to hive them at night it would not hurt to open up the nuc and make the transfer to your hive body when everyone is home. Less stress on them, the better....