Newbee Progress Pics and Videos

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DonMcJr, Apr 24, 2012.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Hello all! I started my first Hive April 15, 2012 in the hive I assembled myself. They are doing great, building lots of comb and the Queen has been released!

I'll use this thread to post updates with pics and videos of a NewBee.

Here's the Video of the Hive Assembly...
    [video=youtube_share;_q3N5hm4eL0]http://youtu.be/_q3N5hm4eL0[/video]

Putting the hive out the morning of the install...

Ready to head out...
    [​IMG]

The Beehive ready for the Bee's
    [​IMG]

Close Up...
    [​IMG]

Installing my Bees!
    [video=youtube_share;Dmg1F32AAyU]http://youtu.be/Dmg1F32AAyU[/video]

2. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Orientation Flights on Day 2...
    [video=youtube_share;-MG-zO_6zDk]http://youtu.be/-MG-zO_6zDk[/video]

Worker Bee caught working on Day 4!
    [video=youtube_share;TaxaWMkaQh4]http://youtu.be/TaxaWMkaQh4[/video]

Day 7...too windy to video...went in quick to check for the Queen release. They had the Comb below built on either side of the Queen Cage! About 4 frames of comb were built already too!

Here's the Burr Comb I removed...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up of the Burr Comb...
    [​IMG]

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

They built the burr comb because you did not push the frames together.

4. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

The burr comb was in the gap where the queen cage was. The frames were as close as they could get together. My friend who is a 2nd year beek actually installed the queen cage. Maybe the Queen cage coulda been lower and skinner side so the frames could be pushed together?

I'll make a mental note of that for my second hive next year!

5. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I just watched the video again...the frames coulda been pushed together more. It was an anxious time for me because I kinda had a small fear of bee stings all my life and let my friend do all the work and was just helping.

Since the install I have went out and watched the bees do their thing, changed the sugar water twice and opened it up to check for the Queen Release and removed that burr comb on my own!

Getting pretty comfortable with them! Can't say ill ever tend to them without the veil though and I still get the hairs standing up on the back of my neck when a wasp or hornet flies by!

It was 55 F and very windy during my queen check so I am actually really looking forward to the next check next week sometime in nicer weather cause I was quick due to the weather. Got the empty cage out and saw eggs and closed it up quick... But I know I have all the frames in and they are pushed together and centered now!

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    Maybe the Queen cage coulda been lower and skinner side so the frames could be pushed together?

tecumseh:
    more a problem with the wooden introduction cages than the newer plastic one. with the wooden cage 'sometimes' these have a metal tab for dangling the introduction cage between frames. even then on occasion wax will be started from the cage itself <I myself suspect the workers collecting there and begin building wax there even before the queen is released. with a toothpick the plastic queen introduction cages hang nicely between frames without.

that is quite a bit of 'virgin' wax in your picture. this suggest that the bees in the package were quite young (which is what everryone should want).

7. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Thanks for the tips and observations! It all helps me to learn more much appreciated!

8. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I have a question if I may...well two...

First...adding the 2nd Deep Hive Body. A fellow beekeeper says just put it on now ( 9 days ) and what I read in the book is "wait for 7 of the 10 frames of cone to be drawn". Now I told him that I thought there was comb on the 2nd to end frame so maybe thats why he said it but it was too windy and my 1st solo hive entry to look close cause I didn't want them to get too cold (only 52F). The book says at like 3 or 4 weeks if I remember right...?

2nd...and I know it's a "Loaded" question LOL! But a Queen Excluder... yes or no for a green NewBee? The book says use one for at least ur 1st 2 years... Have read on the net don't use one.

After what I have read I think I want to use one with a top entrance. Thoughts?

Thanks!

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The bees will have NO new members for a minimum 3 weeks. No need for more room. By then, maybe you can determine exactly how many frames are drawn out. I wait until there are 9 frames being drawn, not necessarily finished.

Queen excluders require more beekeeping knowledge and expertise, so I recommend waiting until the 3rd year to begin using them. I'm in my 35th year and still don't use them. Tecumseh is in his 51st year and always uses them.

10. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Thanks!

I was pleasantly surprised today...I have been worried that if I plow my Food Plot for deer they would come out after me because I have to drive 10 feet infront of them. Well I plowed it this morning and only a couple Guard Bees took a peek at me and went back inside. Granted it was only 48 F though.

Still was neat every time I drove by one or two would pop out!

11. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Here's my Trail Camera Video of Deer and Turkeys...
    [video=youtube_share;w3TMyX3FUdk]http://youtu.be/w3TMyX3FUdk[/video]

12. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Day 10 Hive Check and Bees Working and me Fishing!

[video=youtube_share;FekNGiwfAsc]http://youtu.be/FekNGiwfAsc[/video]

13. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Great pics and videos.
    You're finding out that if you ask 10 beeks the same question-you'll get 12 answers. It's a matter of choice and geographical region. As far as a queen excluder-I personally don't-but if you choose to-do not put one under foundation with no drawn comb. If you have drawn comb in your honey supers-they will use it. For some reason-they wont go through a queen excluder to bare foundation.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I myself do use excluder quite a bit and for a number of task. I myself think using these prior to year two is likely unnecessary. You primary objectives in year one should be learning to keep bees alive (and hopefully thrive) and getting as much comb drawn from foundation as is possible. An excluder somewhat limits both of these objectives...

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I was thoroughly enjoying your videos (and particularly the musical accompanyment) until I got to your video of day 10. Would you believe it? The film was blocked from showing in my country because of EMI rights. I'll just have to use my imagination.
    I've never installed a package in all my years so allow me a question: If the queen has travelled inside a cage inside the package, assumedly for several days, why is it necessary to have the bees release her once they are installed into the hive? Is there any danger to the queen if she is directly and immediately released into the hive? That would eliminate he problem of excess spacing to allow room for the cage and the resulting comb built not in a frame but in the open space. It would also enable her to start laying eggs sooner.

16. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Before I found this forum, I placed a queen excluder under my honey supers and the bees never crossed it to draw comb. A friend told me to turn it sideways and within a couple of days, they begin to draw comb in the super. A month or so later when I finally realized I was in over my head, I started looking for help on the internet and found this site. I found there were various opinions on the excluder but before the season was over, I removed my excluder and have only used it since to keep a swarm I captured from reswarming by placing it between the bottom deep and the bottom board for a couple of weeks.
    Enjoyed your videos. Good luck.

17. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

GLad you enjoyed the videos! Day 10 has the song " American Honey " by Lady Antebellem...guess you're not allowed to listen to it there...pretty stupid if you ask me...

I'll keep music out of the videos for ya from now on!

This week its supposed to be warmer so the first good warm day with no wind I'm gonna set my tripod up and check all the frames and video tape it. It will be almost 4 weeks so I'm hoping most of the frames will be drawn so I can add my 2nd deep!

They have really been sucking down the sugar syrup 2 quarts every 3 days so I would imagine they are ready for it!

18. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Bammabww... I'm starting to realize there's a lot of do's and don'ts with queen excluders...

From all I've read I may try letting them draw a few frames of the honey super then add the excluder with a top entrance and check it in a week and see if they are going through. If not ill leave it off until I learn more...

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You know, I have never installed a package as well, and until you mentioned this Efmesch, it never occured to me either. Good question. I would assume tec or Iddee would know.

20. Zulu

Zulu Member

Great videos

What sw are you using for editing and adding music.??

My son has shown interest and want a cheap or freeware sw to help him.