newbee rat scenario

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Jan 5, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

You have been watching the news for the last couple years. You have seen the doom and gloom of whats going on in the bee world. CCD Bees dying we dont know why. If we dont find the problem its the end of the world has we know it. You roll up your sleeves and your going to be one of the many that have taken matters to heart and descided to help. What is it you descide to do. Call a local keep to ask how you can help and in return ask him for help getting you started. Dive in and fly by the seat of your pants by buying a hive and learn on the fly. Contribute to one of those sponsor a hive gimmicks and let a experienced keep look after it while you send them your hard earned dollar. Buy more honey to help suport the honey industry. Maybe even shrug your shoulders plant some corn with a neonicotode pesticide while listening to your cell phone all the while watching a wind farm mill turn in the distance with the thought of. My freezers full theres a grocery store with stocked shelves I see no sign the bees are losing a battle they are fighting. It dont affect me this is happening. Hey look theres a bee hive that moved into my eave of the house. I better call a beekeep and give him free bees. Ooops he says there is no such thing as free bees Im getting some pesticide and spray them before I have to shell out 1000 to have them rehomed and fix my house. What you going to do and how you going to go about it.and again why

2. Larus

Larus New Member

Well, I guess I choose a combination of option 1 and option 2. I build two hives, buy two packages of bees, pray hard to the Lord that I am successful at beekeeping, and learn on the fly as my bees (hopefully) improve the pollination of the yards, parks, community gardens and the university nature preserve around my neighborhood. I also talk to my next door neighbor, who is a beekeeper, and ask him how I can help, and in return ask him for help when I have questions. Someday, if all goes well, I may expand my beekeeping venture enough to place some of my hives in the countryside surrounding my city and thereby contribute my two cents to boosting crop pollination.
    I also buy certain flavors of Haagen-Daz [sic] ice-cream pints, the ones that say on the lid that parts of the proceeds go towards research into the causes of CCD. I am a biologist myself (although not a bee biologist by a longshot), and I believe in scientists, and in giving them as much funding as possible to do their work and solve the problem as quickly as possible.