NEWBEE

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rcihy, Jul 12, 2011.

1. rcihy

rcihy New Member

Hi guys and gals,Rich here I'm and new bee keeper in Manatee county Florida (Sarasota Bradenton area). :hi: Met RAST at a campsite over the 4th who suggested I take a look at the site. (glad I did).
    Have two colonies now (3 months old) and have the third NUC on order for this week.
    Using 10 frame deep as hive body, Medium as food chamber and Med as honey chamber.

Both colonies are doing well, 1 has pulled out all the frames in the food box so I just added a honey super today. The other hive is about a month behind having just begun to pull comb out in the food box.

I'm using wood frames with plastic foundation, maybe thats why there so slow. Any ideas on how to speed up the wax building process?

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Welcome.

Bees will do things at their pace. Wax is drawn out when there is a flow on , or you are feeding them

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome, sounds like your off to a good start. Jack

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome aboard...

and Go Gators!

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

HI RICH
    Keep Florida green.... with bees.
    We all wish you the sweet taste of success.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Rich and welcome to the forum :hi: Glad you got to meet another member of the site, can't beat that!! Hope to see you around and no need to be shy.

To get them to draw wax they need a reason, like a good flow or being fed like was said above.

7. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Howdy Rich and welcome to the forum :wave: ,glad to see another member from Florida,you and I have been keeping bees about the same time,I just started in April of this year.If you can get a chance,you may want to attend the beekeeping workshop at U.S.F. Botanical gardens,hosted by a member here on the forum Americas Beepkeeper.They're held once a month,and the next one is this weekend,the classes are very informative and a real bargain at $10 per class :thumbsup: .

8. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome Rich! We are extracting honey the next Bee Workshop at USF in Tampa.