newbeek

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by falconer, Sep 25, 2011.

1. falconer

falconer New Member

new beek

Hi i'm" falconer". I enjoy small scale farming, I have cattle,pigs chickens, and now bees. A beek freind helped me do a cutout on a new swarm
    on Aug.28/11. We installed them in a 30 bar TBH that I built myself (my first bees ,ain't it great !). I am feeding them sugar water to help them build up for winter.They appear very calm to work and I saw the "queen" for the very first time on Sept.22/11. I was wondering how much stores they need for the winter and when will the queen stop laying eggs. I live in northern nova scotia near new glasgow. I enjoy reading all your information, keep it up I'll need it .

Thank You for now

falconer :Dancing: :

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum falconer. We have a couple keeps on the board from up your way. They could better answer your question on stores needed. Send PerryBee a PM he hasnt been around for a few weeks since he took on a big project but he could be a big help for ya.

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome aboard. :hi:
    If you got and saved all their stores when you did the cut-out, and they were a well settled family, I would think that they have a reasonable chance to over-winter successfully, but the best info would be from a beek in the area familiar with local conditions. Make sure the hive is placed in a good location, protected from winds and exposed to warming sun.
    If you manage to contact Perry Bee, tell him we think about him often and anticipate his return when his project is successfully completed.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome aboard...

a couple of characteristics of honeybees are:
    1) they are extremely photo sensitive when it comes to brood rearing so as the day length become shorter brood rearing is fairly quickly reduced
    and
    2) the winter feed requirement equation is effected by length of winter, cluster size and early season brood rearing. the latter two can be highly breed specific (ie.. what kind of bees you have in the box are a goodly part of this equation), a good target for stores for a lot of northern bee keepers is some where between 22 and 30 kilo grams of feed.

6. falconer

falconer New Member

Thanks for the info. guys. The bees were only in the building for a week so not a lot of comb to cut out. I don't know what kind of bees they are queen is light brown but workers are some mostly brown some are brown/black striped some are all black, could be from feral hive. How do I send PM to PerryBee.

thanks
    falconer

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

In the left colum of the forum you can find a "members" category. All registered members of the forum are listed there. Find PerryBee and you'll be able to send him a PM.
    Regards to him from all of us--we don't want to bother him too much while he is overloaded, but I'm sure, a neighborly note from a fellow Nova Scotian will be appreciated. Just remember--if he doesn't have time to open his email regularly, he might not know about your note for a while.

8. falconer

falconer New Member

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey falconer:

I just saw on your proflie that you are in Pictou. Forgive me for not recognizing that earlier, I backtracked and found this post :roll: .
    Formally, Welcome aboard to a great forum. I usually spend too much time here :oops: but was away when you first posted or I would have been all over it. I lived in Pictou Landing on the lower road from 83 to 88. Tough area, learned to develope eyes in the back of my head. :lol:
    There is another member close to you in Greenhill, goes by afss, real nice guy. We met at the annual Beek AGM and then went on a road trip past Moncton and bought some used stainless gear another beek was selling. Lots of fun. Member Adam Foster Collins pops in now and then as well (Halifax), he's into TBH and now moving into langstroths.
    If we were all a little closer I could see the potential for a club forming :mrgreen:
    Sorry for the late Welcome, but I see you have found the mini-chat, hang around there and we can torment Iddee some :thumbsup:

10. falconer

falconer New Member

thanks for the welcome perry, [afss] is a friend lives about 15 to 20 min. away. I live near Scotsburn.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Have an old friend lives (just outside Scotsburn) on Dufferin Rd.
    Danny Duck (no foolin, that's his name) Haven't touched bases with him in years, if I'm ever up that way I'll have to catch up.

12. falconer

falconer New Member

right on! I know Danny 5 min. from me. Small world A Perry. I haven't talked to him in a while.

13. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Welcome to the board. And let me add "thanks given" to your post. Great to see a new person add to the forum.