Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by AcmeBees, May 4, 2012.

1. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

Current inventory of colonies:
    #1 Bees cut out of log
    #2 A purchased nuc transferred into a 10 frame deep ~4-15-2012
    #3 A purchased package transferred into a 10 frame deep ~4-15-2012
    #4 A swarm hived 4-29-2012 placed in a 10 frame
    #5 A small swarm hive in a 5 frame nuc 5-1-2012

Easy question first (and I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I was unable to find it) How many full frames of bees in a single deep triggers the addition of the second deep? Are there pros/cons of doing it too early? I think I know what happens if you are late. Reason I ask, #2 and #3 above are boomin'.

#1 above is the weakest for sure and I am worried than are below the minimum of bees to come back. I see my options with this as:
    a. Punt, pinch the queen and do a combine with either #4 or #5
    b. Switch hive positions with #2 or #3 to give #1 a numbers boost
    c. Steal a frame of brood from #2 or #3 and give it to #1
    #1 was cut out of a log not long ago, they have been trying to attach the cut out brood comb to the frames, but I think they are too busy covering brood to do much else. I have been feeding them, they take about 25%/day as the boomer hives. I hate to pinch a feral queen, but I would be combining them with local swarm stock.

As always, Thanks for the sage advice that I'm sure will follow

2. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

Another question, how do I know when the flows start and stop? That one does not seem to be well talked about. Is it obvious??

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The answer is A,B,orC. Your choice. Do you want to keep the feral queen? If so, then not A.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Acme,

I am new also and have a smiliar situation. I have 3 captured swarms and 1 cutout. Just like yours, my swarms are going gangbusters but the cutout just doent seem to be doing a whole lot, compared to the swarms. One thing we did was put 2 empty frames in the middle of their 5 frames of brood comb. They are drawing out these 2 combs. But still, not near the activity coming and going from this hive.

I wonder if it has something to do with the mentality of a cut out. vs the mentality of swarm.

I know one thing, we are at the right place to find and answer, or two. or three. or four.....

5. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

OK I was checking the progress of a swarm hived 8 days ago. They have 4 frames drawn and storing syrup and pollen. No brood to be found and I did not see a queen. obviously I could have missed her. I think this answers the log bee strength problem.

Should I wait a few more days and check for brood again?

This hive is the only one I have without brood and they are definitely acting different than the usual calm bees on a frame of brood. Kind of runny.

Is this a newspaper combine? Which side should the queenright hive be top or bottom?

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

they may be queenless if they are behaving differently, usually ornery, if you have no brood, eggs, larvae, which would suggest being queenless. i would give her a few days and check again.

with a newspaper combine the queenright hive goes on the bottom.

7. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

Thanks River....I was in there to check them yesterday evening, and I saw a TON of pupae and some starting to get capped.

Guess my eyes aren't good enough to see eggs.

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

good news!
    a magnifying glass and/or the sun to your back helps with challenged eyesight:lol: