Nicest bees I've heard of

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by oblib, Apr 16, 2012.

1. oblib

oblib New Member

When i installed my bees 10 days ago i put in 1gal baggie feeders with a 4 inch spacer to keep the lid off the baggies. Four of the ten hives decided that that 4 inches was the perfect spot to build all the comb.

This evening after work being the first day that the weather was not either raining or gale force winds for a while so I decided it was time to fix it. Between those four hives I cut out 18 pieces of comb that was 3 1/2" tall and 15 or so inches long. Probably 80% of all the bees in those hives were in that comb. I used only smoke and a ventilated jacket and recieved exactly ZERO stings.
    :thumbsup:
    There were many times i made newbie mistakes including droping comb:shock: and they just let me pick it up, brush them off it, and move on.

I also removed those spacers and gave those hives jar feeders so they wouldnt do it again. Was gonna burn them dang spacers but remembered they will come in handy for mountain camp feeding in the winter but no more baggies for me.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I assume you obtained package bees????

you should know that the bees in the package and the new queen are not related. in about 30 days of so from the time the package was installed you should begin seeing some transition to the queens own progeny. disposition of the hive then can start being evaluated. do not let this event (and frankly I am pleased as punch it turned out like it did) lull you into thinking that you don't need to light a smoker or dawn your veil.

3. oblib

oblib New Member

Oh yeah I know that. Hope to never take one to the face so will always wear a jacket when opening a hive.Just couldn't believe i got no stings today.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

I used 2" tall shims with 1 gallon baggie feeders acouple years ago, and had no problem with wild comb inside. 4" shim seems excessively tall to me. A full 1gal baggie is only about 1.5" tall when laid flat.

Glad you have gentle bees! (wait til autumn and it'll be a little different...heh heh...)

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have already started to see some a progression of dominance in my hives after nearly two weeks. I have wore my suit and veil both times I have been in the hive and always had the smoker going. I haven't been stung yet after intro, queen release and first inspection. I know what a bee sting feels like and I don't have a desire to flirt with it. I do however sit withing two feet of my hives and watch them for minutes upon minutes without much bother from them. :smile:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

when I use freezer baggies as feeders I don't use shims.. I simply set the bag directly on the top bars. I puncture the bag (twice with a fork) at or about the label and place this upward.