Nifty mold for wax!

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by heinleinfan, Oct 10, 2013.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I wanted a better way to measure wax for making lip balm than either melting it and using measuring cups or grating it with a cheese grater and measuring the shavings. I also wanted to have a way to have blocks of small measured amounts to possibly have for sale and for a class I'm doing on lip balm. I found these affordable silicon ice cube trays on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4RNIQK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that have 1 ounce squares and decided to take the risk and see if the wax would come out of the trays without an issue.

It was worth the risk, little suckers pop right out of the trays with no problems whatsoever and while my bad pouring skills means they're not each *exactly* one ounce, it'll do.

20131010_075931.jpg 20131010_080003.jpg

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I'll bookmark that! Thanks :D

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Great idea HLF. :thumbsup: Based on your research, now I'll look for a larger silicon container to collect the wax that is produced in my solar wax extractor. It's always such a pain to remove the blocks of hardened wax from the standard plastic containers I've beeen using for years.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Most of the candle molds are made of silicon or urethane now because of the flexibility of the molds for removing intricate patterns another place to find silicon design molds are at stores that sell cake decorating products.

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

This could work too. silicon muffin tray
    012.jpg

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

did you have to spray Pam or put oil or anything in the trays?

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I use this.

Gingerbread house and candle mould 2011 022.jpg

8. Marbees

Marbees Member

Any cooking oil in spray will do.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great post hein!
    the silicone baking stuff works great for wax molds! i haven't seen the ice cube ones........errr uhhmm, how did i discover this? a certain mother in law decided to grace me with an entire collection of silicone baking thingys......maybe she was sending me a message.......i don't bake, unless it's take and bake.......:lol:
    after some time went by of long term storage, what do we do with this stuff, and conversation about these elite objects going to a permanent place of rest outside my kitchen, :lol: .....and thinking, hmmmm, these might work for something else......so i kept the meatloaf sized silicone for my solar wax melter and the muffin size silicone for remelting and pouring wax into......and also the square one, i think 8 x 8, in case someone wants a large brick of wax......:lol:
    they work!!!!
    like perry, you can use the silicone mold release in these, or a little bit of olive oil, or a light coating of cooking spray as marbees suggested in the mold to release......very light, it doesn't take much.

also hein, if you are wanting to sell by weight, just purchase an inexpensive digital kitchen scale to sell by weight if you would like.

ef~
    " now I'll look for a larger silicon container to collect the wax that is produced in my solar wax extractor"

okay ef, how big? i think i still have the cake size one, you can have it.....and it comes with a wire rack to support it..........:lol:

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Cake size sounds a bit big, but if you and Mr RB come to deliver it personally, I'd be overjoyed to try it out. :grin::grin::grin:

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thank Hein, great idea!