Night hive entrance observation

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Jun 7, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Today was in the 80's right now it is 65. Went out to look at the entrance and bottom of the BSB to see if the refilled sugar water jars were possibly dripping and running onto the ground through the screen. I noticed there were many bees at the entrance. Not moving too much. Almost like they were sitting on the porch enjoying the evening. Is this normal evening activity? It has been 2 weeks since I brought them home and one hive has gone through 3 gallons on 1:1. The other 2 gallons. Normal? One hive had a dry bottom. One had sugary dew on the ground. Wanted to wait till Saturday to check the hives. Should I check tomorrow?

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have some that don't drink the syrup and others that go through a quart per day...so, 4 quarts to a gallon and you are going through 2-3 gallons in two weeks, I would say that is pretty normal. Mine have have all stopped taking the syrup now. I know which hives I can open up and fix or check on something without having to disrupt them with smoke. I would reach in there and pull that syrup out and check it out if they are nice girls.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I must still have some flow because I get
    A week or 10 days to a quart. I built
    Migratory covers with jar holes in them.
    So I can check feed from 50 feet. I put
    Screening under the hole so I can fill
    Easily.

4. Gypsi

I always check to see how much the
    Level in the jar drops before I walk away.
    A leaky feeder can draw robbers and
    Ants, I'd check it out.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Crazy8days: " Not moving too much. Almost like they were sitting on the porch enjoying the evening. Is this normal evening activity?"
    efmesch: Sounds like you've got a happy hive. Could you smell the fragrance of the flowers they've been working on? That's one of my favorite bee observations.

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I wish I could! Allergies. They have been hitting me and my neighbor's lavender.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Gypsi snip..
    I built Migratory covers with jar holes in them.

tecumseh:
    I use pretty much the same set up here. On the leakers you will notice a regular set of bubbles inside the jar when you place it on the hive. A non leaker should bubble just a very short while and then the bubbles will cease.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Blueblood says: " I know which hives I can open up and fix or check on something without having to disrupt them with smoke."

Iddee says: "And I know you will one day regret that statement". Please post pics when you receive 75 or more stings within 10 to 15 seconds after raising the lid.

It's not IF, it's WHEN.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

Blueblood says: " I know which hives I can open up and fix or check on something without having to disrupt them with smoke."

Iddee says: "And I know you will one day regret that statement". Please post pics when you receive 75 or more stings within 10 to 15 seconds after raising the lid.

It's not IF, it's WHEN.
    :lol:
    blueblood also said: "and check it out if they are nice girls."

nice girls don't sting iddee :eek: :lol:

10. Gypsi

At least a veil and a pair of garden gloves if I have to open a hive. Every time. Even though it is 100 degrees out. (my fondness for 5 am beekeeping goes up with the temperature.) My nice girls in the bee tree were not happy with the weather yesterday. I had to suit up to finish 6 ft of flowerbed. Decided they might be being robbed and dumped gravel around their lower entrances. They haven't forgiven me yet. It is time for them to move out of the garden. This morning I wore an alexandrian veil to put out my beneficial nematodes. Nice girls don't sting, but if a hive is being bothered by a skunk, or ants, or attempted robberies by other bees, or if it is cloudy, or varroa mites are becoming a problem, they may not be nice. Without warning,.

I finally figured out how to get the wood pellets lit in my smoker yesterday. I do not have a full-blasting smoker often. But I have a suit, and it is miserable, but I wear it.

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Night time is when the magic of bees are done. A strong colony can gain as much as 25 pounds per day if the flow is strong. During the night if warm enough, the bees will be fanning air in and others fanning out of the hive. through the hive this process is repeated to cure the nectar into honey reducing the water content from around 96% to about 18% This causes the hive to lose as much as 15 pounds in one evening. Amazing!! Ohh yes, I never go less then fully suited up, including having my pant legs tied tight to my boot tops quite distracting to have a quick moving fuzzy buzzing thing running up your leg, let alone several!!!
    Barry

12. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

And yes the fragrance of curing nectar is so wonderful to smell, quite nice, as it permeates the whole area.:thumbsup:
    Barry

13. kebee

kebee Active Member

Well you people must have some good nose for smell for I have tryed it and smell like a bee oder of some kind to me.

kebee

14. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

exactly correct

15. Gypsi

I gather that when they are collecting goldenrod a different odor will appear.

16. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

yes, each floral source has it's own unique scent, and is one of the principal attractants for bees.
    Barry

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If your wife puts on Chanel #5, that's what she'll smell like. If your bees feed on citrus, that's what they'll smell like and so on for any flower with fragrance. However, as they reduce the water content of the nectar at night, the fragrance (good or bad) from the floral source is concentrated. I guess you have to tell your bees where to collect so as to enjoy the evening sniffing.

18. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Here's a few pics from that night.

001.JPG 002.JPG

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

From the first picture I wasn't sure, but from the second you can see that they are working on the nectar :thumbsup: