Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first sting through the nitrile gloves that I use. I think I was mashing her pulling a frame out.

The good news is, there was no swelling, itching or anything for that matter. I'm beginning to believe in these gloves more and more. It looks like a little blood blister on my thumb, from three days ago.

The last one I got on my finger, without gloves, swelled up so bad I could not bend it.
Robert

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I took a few through the nitrile gloves just the other day, and got one on the thumb (again) yesterday. I don't find that they offer much in the way of sting protection at all but they make for clean hands at the end of the day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Been using Nitrile gloves for about 2 years and have only been stung about 3 times through the gloves. Each time it was because I grabbed a bee I could not see. My hands are clean though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The stingers don't go in as quick through nitrile, but they do still go it... I got one pin prick sting through a glove on Saturday, but it barely made it into my skin before I scraped it off (can barely count this as a sting).

The other two I took on Saturday through my t-shirt went in a whole lot quicker and hurt a good bit more!

The first was in the stomach, right below my ribs. It happened just as I lifted the super up while opening the hive.
I must not have waited for the smoke to spread around well enough before lifting this up (Note to self: slow down fool!!!).

Before I was able to set the super down on it's side and grab my smoker, I quickly took another one on the shoulder.

I can't blame them though, it was a hot day, I knew they were a bit pissy and I was robbing at the time!

·
Registered
586 Posts
The stingers don't go in as quick through nitrile, but they do still go it... I got one pin prick sting through a glove on Saturday, but it barely made it into my skin before I scraped it off (can barely count this as a sting).
That's the good thing about nitrile gloves, if the stinger does go through, it's a minor sting. I've gotten one sting through them and although I knew I was getting stung, the after effects were no more than a mosquito bite. I think the nitrile limits the stinger penetration. That said, I don't use them anymore because of the sweat. In the Texas heat my hands sweat too much when I have them on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts