Nitrile gloves

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by RE Jones, Jul 1, 2012.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I got my first sting through the nitrile gloves that I use. I think I was mashing her pulling a frame out.

The good news is, there was no swelling, itching or anything for that matter. I'm beginning to believe in these gloves more and more. It looks like a little blood blister on my thumb, from three days ago.

The last one I got on my finger, without gloves, swelled up so bad I could not bend it.
    Robert

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I took a few through the nitrile gloves just the other day, and got one on the thumb (again) yesterday. I don't find that they offer much in the way of sting protection at all but they make for clean hands at the end of the day.

3. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Been using Nitrile gloves for about 2 years and have only been stung about 3 times through the gloves. Each time it was because I grabbed a bee I could not see. My hands are clean though.

4. pturley

pturley New Member

The stingers don't go in as quick through nitrile, but they do still go it... I got one pin prick sting through a glove on Saturday, but it barely made it into my skin before I scraped it off (can barely count this as a sting).

The other two I took on Saturday through my t-shirt went in a whole lot quicker and hurt a good bit more!

The first was in the stomach, right below my ribs. It happened just as I lifted the super up while opening the hive.
    I must not have waited for the smoke to spread around well enough before lifting this up (Note to self: slow down fool!!!).

Before I was able to set the super down on it's side and grab my smoker, I quickly took another one on the shoulder.

I can't blame them though, it was a hot day, I knew they were a bit pissy and I was robbing at the time!

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

That's the good thing about nitrile gloves, if the stinger does go through, it's a minor sting. I've gotten one sting through them and although I knew I was getting stung, the after effects were no more than a mosquito bite. I think the nitrile limits the stinger penetration. That said, I don't use them anymore because of the sweat. In the Texas heat my hands sweat too much when I have them on.