no bees at night rule

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Oct 19, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Ever since i started reading about honey bees its been ''dont open the hives after dark''....but they never really say why :/ why ??? There will be more bees in the hive like when it rains....but other than that is there a reason ya cant ???

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No reason you can't.

Bees go for light, like most insects, so you don't want to use white lights, especially head lamps.
    Bees don't fly much at night, they crawl. You can't see them when they are crawling on the ground to your ankles and up you leg. ""But you will feel them when they get there". :shock:
    Skunks and bears attack hives at night, so the bees are more on guard at night.

If you have more than 16 years of formal math schooling, please try to count the number of stings you get the first night. It should be interesting. :thumbsup:

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

All the mean ones are home and they are more defensive. Jack

4. Omie

Omie New Member

I can verify that this is true. :shock:

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

So can our family. We once were foolish enough to try to move 3 hives at night without bothering to block the entrances...we will NEVER EVER EVER make that mistake again.

6. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

The Peace Corps encouraged robbing honey at night when they first introduced top bar hive beekeeping to South Africa. It was thought the bees would be less defensive. I have worked AHB at night and that was probably the most stings I received in one inspection.

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

A very wise beekeeper once wrote: "If you wouldn't take the roof off of your house, don't take the roof off of theirs." (iddee... ) This applies more to rain and cold than to darkness, I guess.

I have found that the busier the bees are with foraging, the less they seem to pay attention to the fact that you are dismembering their homestead. If there is a dearth, or it is bad weather, or dark, they have nothing better to do than defend their hive.

8. Omie

Omie New Member

At night all the bees are at home. And waiting to answer any knock at the door.

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

so basicly its just like in the rain but in the dark....lol....i'll pass....ive done the after rain thing an i dont do it anymore cuzz of the crankys....i was thinken there may be more to it than that but the crankys are enuff to not wanna try it....i checked 3 hives tonight just before dark an took the vents off...pose to be in the 50s tonight....an odd side note....in all of the hives i checked the queens were all on the bottom of the inner cover....i saw capped an uncapped brood plus eggs...an all but one had my marked queens....the one that didnt has a nice yellow fatso queen in it....i dont remember her being in there...i do remember a queen like her from the cutout i just did...that flew the coup...yall dont think she....naaaaaaaaaa....why would all the queens be up on the inner cover....the weather is changing to cooler temps tonight but i would think that would drive her into the middle of the brood box....any thoughts ???

10. Omie

Omie New Member

The top cover has accumulated the last of the sun's warmth for the day, so the queen gets close to it? Sort of like a snake sunning itself on a rock, or a cat on the warm bed. After dark the outer parts of the hive cool down and she goes towards the center again?

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

hmmmmmm....thanks Omie...now i know when an where to look when i wanna go queen catching....not that i wanna really...but i'll be careful when popen the cover near dark....as soon a i got the inner cover poped the queen was the first one out the crack....i almost freaked an dropped the cover....ida mushed her....had to use my swammy beek charm prayer to will her back in while i held the door open for her....shewwww that was close....lol....your problly laughen at our 50 degree cold snap huh...lol

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

50F here is T- shirt weather in SW Mo. :lol: Jack

13. Omie

Omie New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

14. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lmbo....well i guess its only fair.....i laughed at yalls little heat wave this summer...lol....ive lived 2 places....Arizona an Florida.....when it gets in the 20's here....which it does by the way...for about 3 days....i look like nanook of the north....10 layers of the badest winter clothes florida has to offer....ahem....ok....9 tee shirts an a sweat jacket...but still...Brrrrrrrr

15. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

The 20's??????
    Thats when it's time to put a jacket on over the flannel shirt. :rolling:

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

hey....i saw it snow here once in the 70's....put an 8th of an inch of snowish stuff on the tips of the grass for a few hours....like ta shut Florida down an almost cause a panic....lmbo !!!!!

17. rast

rast New Member

I'm with 2KD on this one, heck, I even own a snowmobile suit here in Fl.

18. trinibee

trinibee New Member

having done a bit of beekeeping at night, i must say bees do crawl alot, however the use of a red ( i have not tried any other color headlights) light normally reduces both flying and crawling so such an extent that you can manipulate the frames a bit if you need to, and well the light works with both africanized and italians bees

19. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

intresting.....why were you working the bees at night....just curious.....for me it would bee mostly because of the heat an free time....ummmm yea the heat moslty lol :)

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Among the many other reasons already given for not working the hives at night, might I add that, because they do a lot of running around, it's almost impossible to close up the hive without losing a lot of bees due to crushing. What an unnecessary waste. :cry: