No bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tyro, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

I am on vacation with my family back east visiting my mother and sisters.

We have traveled to Upstate NY and now to Cape Cod, Ma (where they live). Because I am a mentally ill beekeeper - I dragged two nuc boxes all the way from ND baited with swarm lures and with drawn comb. Who knows right? Might pick up a swarm at one of the two places.

In NY - blackberries were/are blooming along with a number of other flowers. On Cape Cod - the lawns are covered in white clover (and again, other flowers are blooming).

I haven't seen a single honeybee in either location. I haven't had even a solitary bee check out either nuc box. I find this to be just a bit incredible. I have only seen maybe <6 bumblebees total on the entire trip.

I am pretty tuned into bee/pollinator activity, so it is a bit surprising to me that there is so little activity here. Anybody have any insights?

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Could it be that the fields were sprayed? :ranting:

3. Tyro

Tyro Member

No, I don't think so. It is too broad a geographical area with too much variety (a big mix of homes, forest, fields, crops, etc). Surely some areas have been sprayed, but the areas have always had bees in the past.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Because I am a mentally ill beekeeper - I dragged two nuc boxes all the way from ND baited with swarm lures and with drawn comb. Who knows right? Might pick up a swarm at one of the two places."

..........:lol:

5. Omie

Omie New Member

I am 45 min SE of Albany NY, and I see numerous bees of all kinds here, though perhaps not quite as numerous as what i observed 10 yrs ago. We have the same mix of homes, forest, fields, crops here. I did see honeybees and bumbles when visiting Cape Cod last year. Not sure why you experienced that.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well I don't have it that bad Tyro... I only take along my veil and my hive tool on vacations.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Hello my name is Tyro I am a beekeeper. (Group) Hello Tyro how can we help you. :thumbsup:

8. Tyro

Tyro Member

True! I blame my location. The season is so short in ND and swarms so rare in my area (only 2 in 6 years and caught my first only this spring) that I can't help but be thinking about swarms all year.

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I was spoiled while In Israel apparently. I saw bees in the valleys and the mountain tops everywhere I went....but, I am sure as Ef will tell ya, it is the "land of milk and HONEY." :grin:

Seriously, I wonder if CCD is more real than I have supposed it to be. I wouldn't have thought there was a shortage of bees after a full swarm season.