No brood at all

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by beehappy, Feb 2, 2012.

1. beehappy

beehappy New Member

Just checked my hives because the weather is so nice (above 60 and sunny). Bees are out and about from both hives but one doesn't have as many bees flying around as the other. When I checked it, there is no brood whatsoever. First time I this has happened to me, course I'm pretty new - this is my fourth year. Is this hive done for and should I just go ahead and order a new package for it? Bummed out because I've been doing so well!
    :cry:

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Did you look for the queen? Usually here in SW. Mo. they have a small patch of brood in Jan., but with the warm winter we've had there should be more. I've not opened mine up in the brood box, just peeked under the lid to check stores. Jack

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I wouldn't be too alarmed. In the hive I saw my queen yesterday I did not see brood. Only 1 outta 3 hives had brood.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

is there pollen and nectar/honey in the hive?

5. beehappy

beehappy New Member

I didn't spot the queen but I often have a hard time finding her. If the nice weather holds out, I'll do a more detailed search. There is plenty of pollen and a fair amount of honey stores left. Thanks Eddy for letting me know about your hives and no brood yet - you give me hope! Usually winter is bad enough around here that I never get to check my hives this time of year, so I really don't know how much brood should be in there.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

I bet everything is just fine. I sometimes read about people checking their hives in late winter and finding no brood, then 3 weeks later there is plenty of brood.
    If you had no queen you probably wouldn't even have any bees left in that hive by now. I like to think the queen knows just the right time to start ramping up her laying rate. Have faith! :)