no brood.................

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by roadkillbobb, Jun 4, 2017.

1. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

well I went to do an inspection today and not good..there is NO brood at all, but the hive was filled with bees and im guessing a 3rd are drones...about 3 or so weeks ago, I did a quick inspection, just pulled a few frames, didnt look for brood( I have alot on my plate lately, dad has been in hospice for a month or so and passed away may 21st and im going for hip replacement surgery in 2 days and some other stuff) I switched the 2 supers around and closed it back up, thinking with all those bees the queen should be good, also with all the drones now I figured she was good, now im thinking the queen must have died or been killed and thats why no brood, tons of stores and capped honey and uncapped, so my friend had ordered a bunch of queens for himself and will give me 2 , as I wanted to split the hive, so now it will be experimentation time, let me know if you think this will work....since no queen, we looked every frame for one, and no brood sorta backs it up, I want to split the 2 supers and add a medium on top with frames of comb and honey, the supers have a good amount of empty comb and put a new queen in each, since there hasnt been a queen for awhile and no pheromones in the hive to make the bees go back to either of the split supers, im thinking they will stay with the new queens in the separate hives and ahe should start laying once they eat through the sugar block..what do you think? any comments would be helpful, the new queens should arrive by the end of the week and my friend will put them in as I wont be walking too well from surgery....ah the joys of beekeeping...but I am glad to see the mites didnt kill off the hive over the winter,,so thats one good side..

2. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Sounds like one of those "no right answer" problems.

Assuming the old Q is dead and not on strike, and the option of using two different yards for the splits is not available, I might close the split hives up for a couple of days after putting the Qs in to get the girls attached to their new home.

And, I might just re Q the one large hive right now and split in about a month after everything goes back to normal. I'm one of those "solve for one X at a time" people.

Honestly, this spring, all bets are off.

Sorry about your Dad, and best of luck on your new hip. Sometimes I think the bees are relieved when we get distracted and leave them in peace for a while. They got along for a few million years without our help.

3. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

this was one of my fears of opening the hive and possibly squishing the queen..we looked for a queen and didnt find her, so on strike is not looking like the issue. I would like to know the problem to be able to solve it, im hoping she died of natural causes, we did see some queen cells, but they looked older, but with all the drones and coming out of winter im assuming the queen was around after the winter..we split the hives and will see if the bees stay in each split before the queens arrive, the hives are about 3 feet apart so even if they all go back to one of the hives it wont be an issue, but since this situation arrived ill experiment a little...
    thanxu for my Dad and hip....

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

Ive been thinking and wondering if you think my hive swarmed and the bees in the hive are just the left overs, even though it seems there are alot of bees in the hive( alot of drones too), that would explain the older queen cells at the bottom of some of the frames... either way 2 new queens are on the way for this week..

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

a lot of drones can also indicate a laying worker. No brood, but any eggs? I would requeen asap I think, but leave her candy in for them to free her slowly. If you have 2 queens, it's already June, you aren't in Texas are you? I might go ahead and do the split and requeen both halves at the same time. IF you find off center eggs or 2 eggs to a cell, you are going to have to put that queen in the hive box after you dump them half a mile away. and let the returning bees find her. If they have gone laying worker they will not accept a new queen well, til you get rid of the laying worker.

6. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

there are no brood and no eggs..only pollen and honey, im in new york...new queens are coming this week.there ia no evidence of anything laying anything..so I think im safe from a worker laying eggs... yes I will leave the sugar plug for them to eat through to let the queen out.. thank you for the info..

7. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

update, my friend put the 2 new queens in, the bees stayed separate in each hive and he put the queen box with sugar block in between the supers, in a few days he will check and see if they got out and if they are starting to lay brood, Im limited im what I can do after hip replacement surgery...Im hoping it works out..

8. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

ok got a little update and good news....when I went through the hives with a friend and found no brood, in one side of the split we saw what may have been a virgin queen and left her as we werent sure, a few days ago my friend put 2 new queens in with the sugar block, one in each half of the new split, today we opened both splits and found the new queen dead and still in the queen box, but tons of new capped and uncapped brood, so that possible virgin queen must have been the new queen of the hive, so the workers didnt release the new queen, and on the other side of the split, they released the queen and now there are tons of capped and uncapped brood, we will open the hives up next week and hopefully both continue to grow..so so far success, they re queened one side and we did the other, amazing how nature will work through problems..

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes it is amazing. Glad both hives are doing well

10. David Meehan

David Meehan New Member

I'm in a similar situation.

I just started my one hive this year. Italian bees.

About a month ago I thought I saw a queen cell. Shortly afterwards there was a swarm I think.
    Unfortunately, they left about a half hour before a hailstorm. I hope they found shelter quickly.

Anyway, now there are maybe ten bee pupa in the whole ten frame, two medium super hive.

There are plenty of adults. Their temperament seems normal. Virtually no pollen in storage, and very few foragers are returning with pollen. This is despite the fact that we have hostas in bloom. It seems they only want the clover.

Lessons learned:

1) Start with two hives, so that you can transfer brood if you must.

2) Keep pollen patty mix on hand.

I ordered a queen yesterday.

If the workers look like they want to reject her, presumably because they have a virgin queen of their own, should I let the regicide happen or try for a split?

11. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

ok, just a little update,,bees do some crazy stuff to keep themselves going..lol..as explained earlier I split the hive after what I think was an early spring swarm that left the hive queenless...I put 2 new queens in to the 2 halves I split, while looking to make sure their were no queens, I saw a possible virgin queen , but not sure, so about a week later I went back in to check and the smaller hive of the split was completely empty they must have moved the new queen back into the bigger half of the hive and threw out the new marked queen , they ate her wings off and she was just sitting out in front of the hive, I tried to save her but she died the next day, I left the hive alone till today, my buddy came over ( im still recovering from hip surgery)and we opened the hive and food tons of brood and we found the new queen, she is huge, we caught and marked her, then we took frames of capped and uncapped brood and made another split and moved the new hive about 150 feet away from the existing hive and will see if they requeen on their own again..at this point its more of an experiment than anything else, worse case is if no new queen, ill just combine the hives again at the end of the season..but very interesting to see they kept the queen they made instead of the replacement queen, and then moved themselves back into one of the hive splits and got ride of the outsider queen..ill check the new split in a few weeks to see whats going on and if they are staying or flew the coup back to the original hive location..

12. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

well all seems to be going good, the smaller queenless hive is still full of bees and they are building comb and stores when I look in from the top, im going to leave them alone for another week or so to see if they requeen on there own, if not ill try adding another frame or 2 of uncapped brood from the other hive..again all this is just experimenting, if it works then next year ill split the 2 hives in the same manor..time will tell..if it doesnt ill combine them back for the winter..