No Brood

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ktbearpaws, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

I installed a hive back in June. The queen is still in the hive and I saw a few brood cells last week. Most of which have hatched is empty cells now. But they have only drawn out 2 frames of comb, and have as of yet stored no honey. Its getting late into the season....Is there anything I can do to make this hive more productive? If they don't start making honey soon, I may loose them this winter.

2. beehandler

beehandler New Member

add a pollen patty,& feed,feed,feed. if you can,give them a couple of frames of brood. if that doesn't work, try requeening. another thing to try is putting them in a nuc.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

beehandler gave about as good advise as it gets.

Feed a 1 to 1 ratio of sugar to water to promote comb building.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

feed feed feed 1:1. That may kick the queen in. Whenit gets hot and a dearth is on a queen will slow way down and sometimes even stop laying. Make sure they dont back fill the brood nest so She dont have room to lay

5. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

I was feeding and even put a pollen patty in the hive and she did start laying a little. But I had to stop due to other bees began to rob them...so I stopped feeding and took out the patty.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

what kind of feeder are you using. I would reduce the entrance and use a hive top feeder. and go back to feeding 1 to 1

7. beehandler

beehandler New Member

put bees in a 5 frame nuc..... add a second nuc on top (empty of course) and set your feeder inside the top nuc.

8. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Best bet is to ditch that plastic foundation and use real wax. Keep feeding 1:1 and they should have 10 frames drawn in no time at all.

:mrgreen: Al

9. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

I think that my hive may be diseased......
    The wax seams to be deteriorating...and there seams to be a little white looking theads going through the wax foundation.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas on what this is and how to stop it? And is my other hive in danger? :confused:

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

wax moths.

Your infested (not infected) hive is so weak that wax moths have gotten into it, laid eggs and the worms are on the move. The worms travel in the web of the comb eating the honey and bee bread and leaving behind a rough silk tunnel and defecating in it. The bees have a very hard time getting rid of the worms since they are buried down in the middle of the comb. They will destroy all of the wax in your frames. The only way to stop them and still be able to reuse the honey and pollen in the combs is to freeze it for several hours (over night works great).

If this is a 10 frame hive I would pull all of the brood frames and put them into a nuc and then reduce the entrance to one or two inches. Any frames that are honey and pollen stick them in the freezer.

Have you seen any grayish looking moths in or around your hive?

Is your other hive weak or is there more frames of drawn comb than they can cover? The worm will not make it too far in plain foundation, it will starve out (see your last pic).

11. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

What about the comb that has the bees and brood?? Even if I freeze the infected undrawn out foundation.... Won't it just reintroduce the moth larva back into the wax when I put them together again?

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

when you reduce the hive down to a nuc. They will be more able to protect the hive from wax moths. When a hive gets weak it gets to a point to where there is not enough bees to protect the hive from infestation. Do as g3 suggested and you shouldnt have any problems

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well you can't freeze the bees and brood, it will of course kill them, is there wax worms in the brood combs as well?

When you pull the frames out of the freezer the larva will be dead, there is no reason to put them back into the hive at this time.

How many frames of brood and bees do you have?

14. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

Most of the infestation is in the brood frames which consist of 2 frames.
    The bees have only drawn out 1 side of each frame.
    The bottom picture is where they just started on the third frame.
    I didnt have a nuc so I took the two frames ad pit them in a plastic cooler.
    Then I took my deep super and bottom board and sprayed off the feces with a water hose and bleach.
    And I put my other 8 frames in the deep freeze.
    Just like I stated earlier in my post.... they havent stored any honey or pollen. I just started giveing them pollen patties.
    Is there anything else I should do to get rid of the moths?
    And Is my other(stronger) hive at risk?
    Its not looking good for this hive...they aweful week...

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There's a time to fight, and there's a time to run. I think it's time to run with this one.

I would shake them out 50 feet from the strong hive after killing the queen. Then freeze all the frames and put them away until next year.

16. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

Kinda wondered that myself..... will they move into the strong hive?

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, they will take up with it and you can make a split in Mar. or April.

18. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

Any chace of infecting my strong hive?

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Your hive isn't infected. It's infested. There's a big difference.

Wax moths are everywhere. They lay eggs in hives they can get in without being detected. The bees will keep them out if it's strong enough. The moth flourishes when the bees can't protect areas of the hive. Google wax moths and read up on them.

20. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

Well.... I took your advice Iddee, I combined my hives. Now that I took out my old brood frames, I can see the wax larva tunneling INSIDE the wax comb. Is there anything I could have done to prevent what happened? And should I be on the lookout for anything else?