No comb in new honey super

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Jul 10, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I put a honey super on my hive one week ago and I popped the lid to see if they had been busy building comb and to my suprise they had built none. They are on the foundation and on top of the inner cover but they don't seem interested in drawing out the honey super. On last inspection, my two deeps were looking great, lots of brood, pollen and full frames of honey in the two deeps, so I figured they needed more room and added the super. Will they get to it when they need it or should take it off and wait a bit more?

2. mjrice

mjrice New Member

I'm a newbee but I was told by my bee mentor to put my super between the two deeps for this reason.

3. letitbee

letitbee New Member

If I put it between the two deeps then won't the queen start laying in it?

4. mjrice

mjrice New Member

At first she may, but their natural tendency to move brood down and honey up will take over once you move it back to the top. Or at least that's my understanding :D

5. letitbee

letitbee New Member

HAHA..my bees don't follow natural tendencies....they confuse me all the time...if they would only just do what I want them to, life would be so grand :lol:

6. mjrice

mjrice New Member

I was also told if I rub the frames with beeswax it will help get them working on it faster (they have a little on them but could use more). So if you didn't do that, you could try.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If there's no flow, they don't draw wax. I don't know what's blooming and producing in your area, but I would check that first.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or perhaps give the bees a bit more time. patience GrassHopper!

9. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I know, I know ...that patience thing again! I think next year I'm gonna move my hives to the farm so I don't have to look at them all the time. :D

10. Larus

Larus New Member

I think the bees will draw out the comb when they need it. Up where I am, in southern Wisconsin, we probably have the same nectar flow as you do in Illinois, if you take the whole area as a whole. But people have been reporting big differences in surplus honey between hives situated 2 miles away from one another - one hive has 2 supers full of honey, the other has none beyond the stores in the brood deeps. Apparently, location matters a lot, even on such a small scale.

I had two hives in the same yard, to which I added honey supers on the same day. A week later, one hive had all 10 frames drawn out and perceptibly filled with nectar (i.e. the frames were heavy). The other hive had 6 frames still undrawn. Another week later, the second hive had caught all the way up - the honey supers in both hives looked exactly the same. I think the first hive had better, or luckier, scouts, who found a field the second hive didn't know about for a few more days.

Tomorrow your bees might find a big patch of clover they didn't know about before, and all of a sudden your super will be all drawn and filled with honey.

11. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Thanks for propping me up Larus...I try to stay out of the bees as much as I can, all the time wondering if they are being busy, they have astounded me with what they can do, and disappointed me...all in the same day! I'm going to check them this weekend and I'm sure everything will be ok :drinks: