No Explanation?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Apr 20, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

For several years now when i go to some of my out yards, i find the top super slid foward about 1/4 in. on some hives? at first i thought i didn't line them up straight before i left. I started watching to make sure those hives were lined up before i left, when i would come back a week or two later, same thing? It would be the same hives in those yards and none of the others touched. These hives are in deep woods behind locked gates or hid from view,no vandals or nothing amiss. I found one yesterday behind the house that way? It happens to the hives with 2 deeps for brood and two to four supers on (full or almost), and they are level. Any of you ever have this problem? maybe the girls just need more ventilation.:grin: Jack

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Strange you posted thisz causze I have 2 hives that are the same way, 1 the top is always moved a 1\4 inch and the other isz the top super shifted forward the same amount, thing is these 2 are in my own back yard and no1 can mess with them cause of my dogs.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

beehive boogies :grin:

i think i would be tempted to put a deer cam up to figure that out?

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Had some like that last year also, I just played it off to the hives were tilted forward just a little, but it took all I had to break the propolis seal on them.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

maybe a critter nudging them? yamaybeno?! are your covers shoved forward? i keep bricks or heavy rocks on mine...curious!

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep, something heavy on top of all hives.

7. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

If you can stand the comments, maybe you should check for 'ley' lines ? :smile:

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like G3 said, i keep big rocks on top and when i tried to break them down they were proplized? My first thought was that deer were rubbing on them, but with the propolis had them so tight thry would of turned them over before they moved the top super foward? Jack

9. rast

rast New Member

Maybe being used as a back scratcher every night, get moved before the propolis re stick's.

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

very curious, i have never experienced this, (other than bears, and other critters) i would have guessed some critter, but if zookeep experienced this in his back yard.....
    you all are much further south than me, maybe some sort of weather or geological/geographical anomaly?
    or maybe you all have a bunch of fat bees that fill up the front ends of the supers:lol:

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

chindees! oh my....

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"chindees! oh my...."
    at 7:30 a.m. this morning i am googling the definition, tecumseh please enlighten me:dontknow:!

13. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

The night of the living dead beekeepers!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Maybe there are Leperchauns in those woods.:eek: I can't think of anything else that could cause this? Last year it happened to the same hive four times (there are 10 hives in that yard) each time moved 1/4 in. and propolized tight, i would inspect them one to two weeks apart during the flow, and each time same thing? I begin to think someone was playing a joke on me,but now that it's happening 300ft. from the house in plain sight? that's what made me post this. Jack

15. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Seriously, that *is very* interesting!!!

16. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Happens in my main bee yard but the ground there is kinda soft & some shifting goes on IMO due to the soft ground. Is kinda weird though. For a while I thought perhaps my buddy was hitting the hives with his mower or kids were messing with them.

...JP

17. bee stung

bee stung New Member

Sorry Ma ,,, I have been blaming you all this time ,, Ma passed in 05 ,, and things that can not be explained is always blamed on her ..

18. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

bee stung, When I was a little kid my mother bought an old antique rocking chair from an old lady that lived in an even older two-story houses (not a lot of two-story houses around here!). The old lady's husband had died sometime prior, his name was "Mr. Luke". I remember when we picked the chair up that it was upstairs. The old lady didn't want us going up there so she went up and brought it back down a flight of rickety looking stairs. It was a heavy hardwood rocker with leather seat and back. Mother put it in the living room, a room we basically only used when company came. Occasionally we'd walk through there and out of the corner of your eye you'd catch the rocker slightly rocking. Creepy. After that was witnessed a few times whenever we'd hear a noise or something odd happened we'd say "Musta been Mr. Luke.". I wonder if he was a beekeeper?

Ed

19. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

"Youre traveling to another dimension. A dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Your next stop...........The Twilight Zone." (cue dramatic music.)
    Rod Serling-1962.

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

[video=youtube;-b5aW08ivHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5aW08ivHU[/video]