Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
What Rast said made me think that with the hot sun shinning on them the propolis might work like a grease and let the top super slide forward. Then again the bees couldn't get the propolis completely under the super for it to to let it slide? Jack

·
Registered
967 Posts
Repeated temperature fluctuations can cause forces to build. Although propolis seems very solid to quick movement, it may well yield slowly and creep. As the sun sweeps the hives it may create enough influence to make the upper box move inch worm style. I vote for some physical explanation, not the supernatural!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm also looking for a physical explanation. Another thing that got my attention is the sides of the super that slid forward are flush with the one under it? and i have never found one with a gap much over 1/4 in. which kind of rules out an animal rubbing on them,They wouldn't keep things that neat and precise.:???: Jack

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Jack, as I said before, as a northern keep I have never experienced this…..and, since this thread, I have been eying up the supers, totally funny :grin: and today I did again, no movement as you or anyone else has described(never mind the 2x 6 that dropped out of nowhere laying next to one hive)…..

i asked a couple of other northern keeps, got the deer in the headlight look…..sooo, if one thinks of the heat and 'humidity' produced by the bees ,…..all goes to the top?…..or someone said hives on soft ground?

My two cents is you keeps in the south have some geological/ geographical thing going on there, like crofter pointed out. we get some killer humidity up here in the north, not like you guys do. the weather has just been crazy, goes from hot and freezing here lately. heat and humidity move a super ¼†even with heavy rocks on it yamaybeno?

So I am thinking ‘construction’ here. No different than foundations or houses or even concrete moving with the influx of cold and heat? A little ‘breathing’…..Cracks in the walls of the house or tile that your idiot contractor didn’t do right in the first place….. nails and deck boards expand and pop up….I put in a rock retaining wall last year in front of my house. (I am sort of a perfectionist). Last week I noticed one of the rock caps that had been GLUED down shifted forward and separated on one side, I was thinking what the h#ll?

Funny, I do get all this stuff with my house, but not on the supers on my beehives?!

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Jack that is how mine were doing, just sliding forward and never to the side at all. No matter how many times I would put it back in place a week or two later it would be right back.

Crofter your no fun!!:lol::lol: gotta think big foot or in yours and Perry's case the abominable snow man :rolling:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Good one G3:lol:, The sliding supers are no big deal and probably helps with ventilation in the hot summer. (but it's not been that hot here yet) It's the mystery of how this is happening that's got me wondering.:???: Jack
P.S. what's that saying, for every action there's an reaction???

·
Registered
983 Posts
Musta been Mr. Luke. Or IRS is watching you.:shock:

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I have no explanation---but whatever/whoever does it, is doing you a favor. By shifting the top super forward, you're getting better ventilation up there and adding additional entrance room for the field bees to drop their loads on top without having to work their way through the whole hive to get to empty combs. When you catch the do-gooder, tell it that it's better to shift the top super back (not forward), that way the bees have a landing platform on the front of the super below. :roll:

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
The game cam likely won't help. It would be like catching the hour hand on a clock moving. When you set the super down, it sits on top of a layer of propolis. As the propolis heats and cools, the hive lifts and slides. If you check it daily you won't see a difference. It's like you never see your child grow, until you look and it has happened.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That makes sense iddee, but not totally coinvinced.:roll: At first when this started,a man (no wife or children) from Cali. bought 8 acres of woods that joins my property and built a concrete bunker with one door and one windw and posted the property. My first thought was he may be a beekeeper(they are a differant breed:grin:) and was slipping over thinking he was helping me by giving ventilation to them (i hadn't had this happen before he came). I've never met the man and the people who live around said he was weird, i never seen any tracks or anything unusual in, or coming from his direction in the woods, but it was in the back of my mind.:lol: Now that it's happened here at home i no longer think that.No offence to any of you from Cali. we have those from Mo. also. Jack

21 - 35 of 35 Posts