No title

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jimenz, Jun 18, 2012.

1. jimenz

jimenz New Member

My name is Jim, and I'm really not new to the forum. I just haven't been able to us it as much as I would like to be. I am located in Kansas, USA and have only 4 hives.The honey production seems to be going very slow for me. The bees seem to be active but little honey production. Any ideas?

Also, I am thinking about planting yellow or white clover this fall for next year's production. Does anyone have or know how much acreage I need to consider this? Not sure if I need only 2 acres or 20 acres. What's the determining factor?

Thank you for any assistance.

Jim

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi jim,
    i can't answer your question about your slow honey production but can tell you honey production for me has been pretty slow because of rain, rain, and more rain and cloudy days. maybe describe a little more about your hives, what's going on with your weather and nectar flows, and/or why you think your honey production seems to be going slow, help us 'see through your eyes'.

btw, a very warm welcome back to the forum!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Jim:
    "Only four hives" That's a lot more than I had for the first few years! :mrgreen:
    Riverrat is in Kansas and he may have a better idea what is going on in your neck of the woods.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

riverrat would be the authority on this matter. I would assume he should show his face here or perhaps send him a pm if he does not.

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :)

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum :hi:

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Jim its been slow down this way to Im 30 miles south of wichita. The flow came early this year and once it was over there hasnt been much to pick up the slack and the bees have consumed a lot of what the collected. hopefully the fall flow will do better. Usually I find the fall flow better than the spring.

8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Hi Jim, Good to see a fellow Kansan using the forum. I have to agree with riverrat. I have a flow going on right now, but I live in a suburb of Kansas City. It's been so dry that even though there are blooms, there may not be any nectar. Some times bees only work a particular bloom during a particular time of day as well. All that is a topic we could go on and on about.
    I found this information on red clover. http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_trpr2.pdf Page 3 has the specific information I think you are looking for.
    I also found this book offered by Amazon: Crop Pollination by Bees by Keith S. Delaplane and C. F. Mayer. It seems to be rather pricey, but you might find it at a library. In looking through the Amazon sneak preview of the book, on page 211 I may have found a table you can use. Table 33.1 contains Recommended bee densities for White Clover.

Good luck!

9. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome jimenz, glad you found us, a great place to learn about bees.

kebee

10. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

12. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member