Normal and customary charges

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Phil Moulton, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Phil Moulton

Phil Moulton New Member

I am a ( well nearly) a journeyman master beekeeper in Oregon.
    I have a client who has 16 hives 5o miles away. He wishes me to maintain them, he will pay for any woodware needed.
    What should I charge him? A hourly or a yearly per hive and what is a customary charge for this ? I am looking at maybe 3-4 inspections per year and would use his hives as a teaching site for soon to be beekeepers

2. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I have no idea what a 'customary' charge may be. It comes down to what makes it worth your time & effort? You're looking at spending a day four times a year, probably more (I'm thinking with 16 hives, you're likely to find things which will require a return trip within a week or two). If you're retired with plenty of time, that's one thing, but if you're working and giving up precious weekends, that's another.

3. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Hi Phil, I guess the best way to figure this out would be to calculate the output value of the hives. What is the average production level of 16 hives in your locality? Figure a 2/3 take for you. Say... 40# per X 16 hives X $10.00 pound X .66 = $4224.00 per year. I'd say that's fair.