normal or not?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by JUDELT, Jun 2, 2012.

1. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

HI all, just did an inspection;thorough this time. went thro all the brood and supers. didn't get pictures, was by myself. #1 hive; all are in bottom brood;which is very full! they have capped brood with honey, then they are hanging out, a few in 2nd brood box the 1st super has honey on the right foundation and brood on the left side of box. I took the queen excluder off after a fellow beek found the queen above a couple times! are they ok? #2 hive they have 2 brood and 1 super. the brood on bottom is full'with just a few bees in 2nd box. the super is starting to get capped honey. #3 hive this is the one that is bearding on hot days! they have 2 brood boxes and 2 supers. they are everywhere, but the gentlest of all . they have the 1st super almost full of honey and looks like beginning to draw out 2nd super. i noticed something odd?, in the top of a few foundations there is a V shaped gash where the honey is showing. there are bees on it- are they eating or repairing it? and i am amazed- the 3rd inspection with no stings! thanks in advance for any help'

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

???how does the queen get north of a excluder unless was never south of to begin with, unless you are bringing frames of brood up into the super to bring bees up into the super to start drawing out the foundation? If thats the case just make sure where she is before you install the excluder. Bees tend to not always follow the script when drawing wax, lol Some strains of bees will expand from side to side equally, some go left then right.
    maunlipate the frames to place honey and pollen to the outside and brood in the middle foundation on either side of the brood. Basically everything sounds to be normal you'll be fine.
    Barry

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

every thing sounds normal. I have had queens that was skinny enough to get through an exluder. It happens but is not real common

4. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

I think the excluder was a little out of shape, warped. so she squeezed thro. i couldn't get it back into shape, so we just took it off.

5. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

thanks ,glad all seems normal, these bees can be so silly! that's why i'm hooked on them i guess!

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I think the word you really wanted to use is "bees can be so Challenging!" :wink:

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:What ef said.