normal to see bottom brood box almost empty with empty drawned comb?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, May 26, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

upper brood box seems to be doing well..

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If all your bees and brood are in your upper brood chamber (deep) and the bottom has empty comb, you could simply reverse the two boxes.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

bees will always build from up to down, after the bees have about 8 frames drawn or partially drawn, I would and have done is to take two or three frames of sealed or mixed brood and place them in the empty brood chamber, refill it with the other 7 frames, put the foundation in the first chamber they will draw them out. Place the 2nd brood chamber on top of 1st brood chamber--done. By bringing brood into the second brood chamber, your ensuring the bees will populate it, and putting young hatching bees where they need to be anyway where comb building is needed.if you don't do that, bees will put nectar in the original brood chamber, squeezing the queens egg laying space into a ever shrinking area, nectar needs space to cure. lack of brood rearing space, and brood chamber congestion causes -------come on you know, swarm preparation. well that a few other conditions
    Barry

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I am glad I found this thread. As much I read books and the forum, I neglected that basic concept...I put a second deep on a very busy hive 10 days ago and they have done very little to it. I am doing a hive inspection today so it's good timing...I will switch them around today...Thanks Adamant for posting...

5. adamant

adamant Member

dave. so your situation is that :
    you started with one deep and added a second on top. since they did not start to draw comb you are going to put that added hive body to the bottom now?

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

No, place the empty brood chamber on top bees always build from the top to the bottom. What I would also do it grab 2 frames of emerging or sealed brood and transfer them to the middle of the empty super, and place the 2 frames of foundation in the middle of the lower brood chamber, this will 1.) bring bees up into the upper brood chamber. 2.) The hatching brood will immediately start to work on comb building comb.
    Barry