Northeastern Kansas Beekeepers Association Funday June 1

Discussion in 'Upcoming Meetings' started by srvfantexasflood, May 14, 2019.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Join us for this day long event. This program is geared toward beekeepers of all skill levels. Activities will include classroom and hands on activities at the hives, swarm demonstration, vendors, silent auction, lunch cooked on site, and homemade honey ice cream.
    The location will be the Douglas County Fairgrounds, Lawrence, KS. Check in, registration, and key note speech will be in Building 21.
    Guest speakers include Randy Oliver, www.scientificbeekeeping.com Dr. Judy Wu-Smart, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and Dr. Katie Lee, University of Minnesota Bee Lab. Judy Wu Smart at hive.jpeg Randy Oliver.jpg Funday at the hive.jpg
    To learn more and to register go to www.nekba.org.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

How did it go?

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

I think it went well. There were 308 people registered. A few were no shows. We had a fantastic group of speakers. Randy Oliver was the one that everyone came to see and he did 4 presentations. Unfortunately, I was unable to hear any of the presentations, but I assume they were great. I floated around the fairgrounds to learn which topics were well attended. A few were surprisingly well attended! The weather cooperated, and we were thankful for that. Earlier in the week a tornado passed within 2 miles of the fairgrounds and the Red Cross set up a shelter in our main building. Fortunately, they were able to close up shop before we needed the building. We haven't had a chance to read the attendees evaluations or get a treasurer's report. That's where the real answer lies!

Attached Files:

4. Gypsi

Glad you had a good turnout. Randy Oliver is supposed to be a great speaker, I've not had the chance to hear him, but I have read some of his stuff. Hope you made money. Keeps the lights on in the group

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

We are a non-profit so the goal is to break even. There was a silent auction filled with donated items attendees brought. That money goes into our scholarship programs.
    This picture shows Dr. Ellis going through a hive with the youth scholarship students.

Attached Files:

6. Gypsi