Northern Illinois question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Jun 9, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I have a question that I find a lot of answers to but not for my particular region. I am in north east Illinois and would like some advice as to when to add my second brood box. Now the lady I bought the bees and hives from told me not to add the second box until the bees have drawn out at least 7 frames. My friend who is a beek told me last night that he would add the second box now so that they don't swarm. I tend to think that they would not draw out both boxes fully if I added the second box too soon. The colonies were started on May 19th from packages in brand new hives. I don't intend to collect honey this year, my only thought is to help them survive the winter. They are doing great so far but my friend told me that after the first hatch, if they feel crowded they will swarm. I have some capped brood in one hive and a lot of uncapped brood in both. Both hives have about 5 frames drawn out in comb and a lot of capped honey and pollen. Should I move the outer frames in one space and then wait a week or so to add the second brood box?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I dont think that is a regional question. Across the board in any region they recommend 8 of the 10 frames be drawn before adding the 2nd deep. Then use a frame of brood from the bottom deep in the top deep to bait them up and replace the other with a frame of foundation in the lower.

3. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Agree with Rat. Sounds like they are doing good

4. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I know some info is regionally related and I didn't know what to do for my region. Thanks for the advice, I like the idea of putting a frame of brood in the top box to bait them up. I think I spend too much time worrying about my bees..lol

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Rat is right, and you are right about moving an empty in one space each time they fill the last empty you moved in. When you have 8 or more drawn, add a box and "bait" it with 2 frames from the bottom box. Replace them with empties from the new box and place the empties in spaces 2 and 9, leaving a drawn frame in spaces 1 and 10.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I remember my first year was nerve racking to say the least. I can remember taking the abc&xyz of beekeeping with me when I would run hives. Getting into hives and looking in the book. Then back home to ask questions on a bee forum. Then winter it even gets worse. Worrying weather or not they are going to make it. Hang on after you get thru your first winter. Then everything starts to fall in place has you gain experience :thumbsup:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

riverrat writes:
    Then back home to ask questions on a bee forum.

tecumseh:
    there's your mistake riverrat... you should have begun bee keeping before there were forums and not trusted so much in second year bee keeper's wisdom and stuck with abc/xyz (ps... imho everyone needs one of these even if it is ancient).

adding boxes too early will often mean the bottom box is not fully drawn and the outer most frames can become totally unused. I also think that adding boxes too early encourages the queen to expand the brood nest vertically rather than horizontally. if you are using plain foundation then those unused frames will become chewed up by the bees when they hit the time of year when nothing is happening. none of the above is really serious but it is really not how a bee KEEPER want a hive to operate. unused space makes the stack higher and manipulation more tedious. foundation isn't so expensive but at about a buck a sheet you don't like to see it chewed up with nothing to show for your buck either.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I got the new one with the color photography and several of the older additions. They are a wealth of information and should be the first thing a new keep purchases when getting started.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

absolutely... as a quick reference the abc/xyz is priceless.