Nosema

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by atnick11, Mar 6, 2017.

1. atnick11

atnick11 New Member

Looks like both my hives have a bad case of Nosema..one hive I didn't expect to make through the winter but the other hive has been super strong.
    I have ordered some fumagilin which should arrive today but I do t hold out much hope. Any other suggestions? I have ordered package bees for may.. is just freezing the frames sufficient to kill the nosema so I can let the new bees have the honey?

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have checked around and don't have a definitive answer for you. I would hate to give poor advice. Nosema seems to be a northern disease, I don't know anyone that has had it near me, and I can't tell where you are from your post's information display. Camero do you know anything?

3. Ray

Ray Member

Location? I'm in Michigan, my advice could be worthless in Arkansas, Oregon or Maine (Maybe Michigan as well).
    Do you have a case of Nosema or just a lot of frass? Healthy bees will crap all over, under certain circumstances.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

This is for any new beekeeper on the forum, and atnick : If you post what state, or what region and what state, it will be a lot easier to know who might have answers to your questions. For instance, I am in North Texas. so my best answers come from people in North Texas or in a similar climate region. you do this in your profile, and it displays on your posts as "Location"

5. atnick11

atnick11 New Member

I am in Maine. Ray we conducted Nosema tests at our bee club meeting..mine had the worst case the expert had ever seen..
    I

6. camero7

camero7 Member

What were the nosema tests?

7. atnick11

atnick11 New Member

We took the abdomens off 25 dead bees, crushed them up in distilled water, ran the liquid through a filter (coffee). Then looked at a drop under a microscope.

8. camero7

camero7 Member