Nostalgia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rast, Sep 26, 2010.

1. rast

rast New Member

How many of ya'll can remember having no toilet but an outhouse.
    That's all we had the first few years of my life. Daddy hand drove a well, Pitcher pump. then electric, a wringer washing machine for Moma came before an indoor toilet.
    Cracker Florida wasn't that long ago.

2. Charles

Charles New Member

A little before my time, but I loved hearing the stories from my grandparents. :thumbsup:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I was 20 and in the Army when my father had an indoor bathroom put in. They got it operational on Dec. 24th, 1965, just in time for Christmas. My father passed away 4 days later on Dec. 28th.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I can recall outhouses but not so many in Florida.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

We never had one but I can remember them that were on several of the tenant farms Dad had leased.

6. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I remember some friends that had no indoor bathroom, in the early to mid 60 s but here is some for us older folks..... F Troop, ( thats one they have'nt remade) Man from Uncle, not just rotoary dial phones but party lines, rabbit ears for the black & white TV, laying on the back dash of the family car on long road trips, soda pop or beer in tin cans befor pull tabs, Oh this old f--t could go on but dang I feal old just now. Jim

7. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I remember the outhouse(two seater), and the coffee can we used in the house. The house was so old it wouldn't hold paint. We had a spring for water. When dad finally tore the old house down and built the house he lived in for the rest of his life, it had indoor plumbing. The only catch was, we had to ensure there was enough water for the cows, so sometimes we only took a bath in about an inch of water. We only flushed when it was necessary too. (Hope that doesn't gross someone out) My taught us how to do laundry with the wringer washer. An automatic washer would have used too much water.
    For local phone calls, all we had to dial was 5 digits. Our # was 3-3705. And yes, we were on a party line.
    We were only able to get one television channel. I don't remember the channel, but whatever it was, it was the one that aired the Wizard of Oz every year.
    Mom and I were talking about seat belts the other day. I reminded her of those days when we were little, she would stick her arm out to keep us from flying off the seat when she stepped on the brakes.

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Oh boy, that old outhouse.... I sure did hate that thing with a passion! For the first 6 and a half years of my life we lived with my Daddy's folks in the house that they built and raised all 10 of their kids in. When I was really little only 3 rooms had raised wooden floors, the biggest room was still packed earth. Our water came from the old hand pump outside the back door, that was the best tasting water I ever had too. They finally got electric and a phone the year I started kindergarten because Grandma was afraid I would need to call from school and wanted me to have good light to read by.

I'm really not even all that old..... this was all in the first half of the 70s. It was a serious culture shock when we would visit someone in my Mama's family because they had all the modern conveniences and couldn't believe Mama was allowing us to be raised that way.

I miss those old wringer washers!! I remember the party lines too, I had an aunt who was notorious for listening in on everyone else's conversations.

Papa Beek and I had quite the list going not too long ago. We had been naming off all of the things that we see or use on a day to day basis that we are older than...... stuff like:
    compact disks
    dvds
    cordless EVERYTHING
    answering machines
    cassette tapes
    microwaves
    programmable coffee makers
    vcr and dvd players
    video games

it's a fun conversation to have with the kids anyway :)

9. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Hey, that sounds like the house I live in NOW! But we have indoor plumbing (knock wood.)

Oh, I have outhouse stories. I never grew up with one on a daily basis, but where I grew up in Connecticut, the old (not in use) was just down the street. It's claim to fame was that the school was in Connecticut, but the outhouse was in Massachusetts!

When I was in college, the outing club had a cabin in the White Mountains with an outhouse. It was raised up 5 feet so you didn't have to dig it out in the winter! Climbed stairs in the summer.

A year or so ago, my sister in law in Alabama was exploring the coon dog cemetery, and had to use the "facilities." She went in the outhouse, dropped her drawers, and realized she wasn't alone... launched out of there with her pants around her ankles with an angry rattlesnake behind her. Didn't get bit, luckily.